collapse collapse

* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Vara 125 Winter Project  (Read 241 times)

Bikerbill

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
Vara 125 Winter Project
« on: December 06, 2020, 09:21:22 PM »
Hi to all the members on here, i joined this forum a while back, looking for info on the Varadero 125. I bought a 2005 Varadero obviously the carb model back in 2017. I rode twice the weekend a bought it and since then it has lived outside under a tarp untouched. In 2019 I have had a workshop built for the purpose of repairing and storing my motorcycle. However 2018 and 2019 came and went and the Varadero remained under the tarp. During the lockdown i ran the spanners over my Chinese bike which has been running since 2006 as i used it to commute to work everyday. This weekend the Varadero was pushed into the workshop and has become my winter project. I have been collecting parts (not knowing if i will need them or not) over the last year or so when they became available, to future proof the bike as parts will soon become harder to find.
In light of all that, i was wondering if there would be any interest from members of the forum if i documented (vids and photos) of my journey rebuilding my Varadero.

Biker Bill
Bikerbill

Bikerbill

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
Re: Vara 125 Winter Project
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »
I have started a website and blog. bikerbill.simplesite.com but will be putting material here too.

Biker Bill
Bikerbill

lew07

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 05:39:06 PM »
Hi Bill .I would love to see Your Varadero photos. Happy Xmas!!!!

Bikerbill

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 08:10:47 PM »
I am sorting out some photos to put on here. I didn't realise just how time consuming recording and photographing was going to be, so i apologise for the delay in putting stuff up.
Bikerbill

Bikerbill

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 09:22:42 PM »
Here's an observation i made during the strip down. Changing the air filter is quite a faff while the fairing is still attached. Must admit its easy to get to the tank breather pipe with the fairing totally removed. It would appear the previous owner never changed the air filter. When i removed the filter the plastic moulding was stamped 2006 if thats correct. As you will see in the photos, it was totally clogged. This must have reduced the performance and fuel economy dramatically. I am now very concerned that the carburettor settings have been tampered with to keep the engine running, only time will tell.

Bikerbill

Bikerbill

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 09:27:40 PM »
Started to strip the carbs out over the weekend. The top of the air box had been removed previously. To remove the lower part, its best to remove the breather hoses attached, then the screw holding the air intake tubes. Care must be taken not the damage the metal tabs covering the the screws (see photo below).

Keep these parts in a safe place, and in the correct order to ease re-assembly later. Once removed you will be left with two funnels which are secured under the carb base housing.

To be continued...
Bikerbill

* Calendar

January 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal