Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

29/03/24 - 11:35:13

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 368
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83

83 Guests, 0 Users

V2 rear suspension bottoming out

Started by Rafa, 18/05/20 - 20:29:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafa

Hello again. I took my girlfriend on the back of my XL 1000 V2 last Saturday. It was the first time I had taken a pillion on this bike. We went on some fairly twisty, bumpy little roads. I noticed that the rear spring kept bottoming out. I kept stopping and adjusting the spring. I ended up at 30 clicks, which as you know is near the 36 maximum and it still bottomed out every now and again. I have never experienced it riding solo and my girlfriend is no heavyweight. Later this year we are going touring in Ireland (Covid permitting) and I'm afraid with all our gear in the topbox and panniers, that the rear spring won't be up to it.
Does anyone have any ideas about how to solve my problem. I've looked at progressive springs online and other full suspension units, but I need some experienced help.
Thanks.

Truck

Is it still the original spring ? If so could be over time it has become weak and the spring rate has now reduced, any good suspension shop will be able to check the rate of the spring and compare it to the original spec of the spring to see if it still serviceable.

Rafa

As far as I know it's the original spring, but I've only had the bike just over 6 months. It's only done 17000 miles though.

S Barker

If it sits at the correct height when you're both sitting on it without it moving but it bottoms out when your riding over bumps it's more likely to be the damping action faulty rather than the spring.

The early models don't have any damping adjustment so you have 2 choices, leave the GF behind or get hold of a good, working, shock absorber.
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Rafa

How do I know what height it should be sat at? Do the later Varadero springs fit on the Carb models?  I've heard the later units are better.  I knows it's all questions, questions. I've been in touch with Hagon and they can supply a replacement rear shock unit with a remote hydraulic preload adjuster set up to our weight for about £420. I wish bike springs were as cheap as car springs.

S Barker

Quote from: Rafa on  22/05/20 - 18:18:30
How do I know what height it should be sat at? Do the later Varadero springs fit on the Carb models?  I've heard the later units are better.  I knows it's all questions, questions. I've been in touch with Hagon and they can supply a replacement rear shock unit with a remote hydraulic preload adjuster set up to our weight for about £420. I wish bike springs were as cheap as car springs.

You're not buying just a spring from Hagon. You're buying a shock absorber with remote preload and rebound adjustment and a spring.

If its a carb version I think the total rear suspension travel is around 175mm (7").

First you need to get the rear wheel off the ground so the is no load on the rear suspension (Centre stand or tilt the bike on the side stand).
Measure the vertical distance from a reference point on the body of the bike to the centre of the rear axle.

Then sit on the bike with all (or most of your weight)  on the saddle and get someone to make the same measurement.

The difference between the two measurements is the "loaded sag" which should be approx 33% of the total travel i.e. 58mm or 2.3".

Adjust the pre-load setting until the loaded sag is correct. If you cant achieve the correct measurement and the bike still sags to much with full preload applied then the spring is f***ed.

If you can achieve the correct loaded sag measurement and the bike still bottoms out on small bumps the shock absorber is f**ed.

I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Rafa

Thanks for the info. I'll have a measure up and report back.