collapse collapse

* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Changing sprocket(s)  (Read 4018 times)

geoff52

• Spanner Man
  • Varadero Rider
Changing sprocket(s)
« on: January 27, 2004, 07:49:01 PM »
Anybody any experience  or views about fitting different sprocket to reduce revs at high speed (and perhaps increase fuel  consumption) ?

It's not a big problem but I.m used to six speeds and always looking for the next gear that doesn't exist !

There is no problem with low revs and acceleration so I guess it could take higher gearing.

If I've got to change the chain/sprockets anyway it maybe worth a look,I thought

views welcomed

Redeye

Re:Changing sprocket(s)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 08:11:01 PM »
Hi Geoff

Probably the easiest way will be to drop a tooth on the front. My math is shocking but I think that should raise the overall gearing by about 4-5%. The most noticable changes that people seem to notice when upping the ratio is the need to drop down a gear on climbs, but that obviously depends on the area where you live and the type of riding before it becomes a major concern.

Passed_it will be along with his calculator soon and get it right for me.  ;D

Barry T

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 08:26:14 PM »
Martin DT, has fitted a rear sprocket with 2 less teeth.  That gives him a drop in revs of about 5%.  Incidently, as the speedo is set to run some 5% fast, you get a more accurate spedo!

As the front sprocket wears about twice as fast as the back sprocket and as the quite large chain has to turn quite sharply to get round the present front sprocket, I would not advise changing the front sprocket.

If you are thinking of doing even gently off road work, the higher bottom gear will have you slipping the clutch even more than you have to at the moment.

Every bike I have ever ridden, there has been occasions when I had felt the need for an extra gear.  I think it is just the nature of things.

Personally, I would not be prepared to give up even 5% of that top gear ooomph!

p.s. Redeye, I think you are getting confused - passed-it is on another list :D

I have just read this again!
Of course reducing the teeth of the front sprocket will lower the gearing.
To raise the gearing you would need to fit a larger sprocket and there is not enough chain clearance to fit a larger front sprocket!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 10:12:05 AM by Barry T »

Redeye

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 08:31:37 PM »
You see, I told you he'd turn up get it right for me.  ;D
And I am confused  ???

geoff52

• Spanner Man
  • Varadero Rider
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 07:56:06 PM »
You're confused!!!!

Doesn't seem worth it from what you have said. I suppose I do more long distance touring so the higher gearing at slower speeds does not bother me  too much. I think the GS has a sort of "overdrive" which is basically what I would like .

I did look at a GS but the protection from the weather for my 6'6" wasn't up to it . And the price.......

Redeye

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 10:51:37 PM »
 :-X Looked at a GS  :-[
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 07:40:48 AM by Redeye »

* Calendar

July 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 [2] 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25