collapse collapse

* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Electrical problem  (Read 233 times)

Jac2767

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
Electrical problem
« on: May 06, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »
I have 2005 125 Varadero I had a headlight bulb blown 7 weeks ago I replaced it and the other with new ones and since the Iíve been having issues with it
The battery keeps going flat just after a short run of just 10/15 miles of running Iíve replaced the regular itís had new battery and stator and itís still going flat anyone with any idea on what else I could try Iíve ordered a new rotor to try Iím just baffled at why this problem only happened after putting new headlight bulbs in

T3rry

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
Re: Electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 07:59:41 PM »
Sounds like a bad earth. If it has occurred since the light issue check for a broken or worn wire from the light that could be shorting by touching metal.

John J

• Grease Monkey
  • Varadero UK Rider
Re: Electrical problem
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 06:56:36 AM »
The best way to know which circuit is causing the drain is to use a multi meter.  If you don't have a meter or don't know how to do this then you could start by taking out your light fuse and running the bike for the same time it normally took to drain the battery. If the battery stays charged you know the fault is on that circuit somewhere and probably grounding like suggested above. Be careful where you ride the bike to test it if you do ride without lights so you don't break the law.
The multi meter is the simpler way of finding the fault. Your drain does seem very large and fast to drain a fully charged battery within a few miles. If you hadn't mentioned your headlight job my guess would be a drain on the starter motor circuit somewhere.

S Barker

• Administrator
  • Top Poster
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

* Calendar

September 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30