collapse collapse

* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Gearbox Noise  (Read 150 times)

mikerbull1

• Grease Monkey
  • Varadero UK Rider
Gearbox Noise
« on: April 20, 2020, 09:44:53 AM »
Would appreciate any ideas on an intermittent gearbox noise which i have on my 1999  vara. After an engine failure I have fitted a complete engine replacement and this noise has been apparent from the first turnover. Its a heavy horrible knocking noise which gets worse as the engine heats up. I say intermittent because it completely goes when you pull the clutch in which is why I'm assuming gearbox. A thing to note is that at the moment it ticks over very unevenly which I believe to be a carb problem. As the reves pick up engine becomes smooth and noise goes. I'm wondering if the lumpy tick over could be causing the noise in the gearbox by setting up some kind of vibration between cogs as if you have ever had a look at these gearboxs there is quite a bit of slack in there. I've had a few varas over the year and know a few riders and have never heard anything like this. Once on the road the bikes runs perfectly with excellent power and torque. Many thanks.

aboynamedsue

• Tech
  • You came in that thingYou're braver than I thought
Re: Gearbox Noise
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 11:02:13 AM »
and it definitely wasn't a BMUU engine you fitted by mistake......

S Barker

• Administrator
  • Top Poster
Re: Gearbox Noise
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 04:33:26 PM »

Just because it disappears when you pull in the clutch doesn't guarantee it's coming from the gearbox.

If it's a regular ticking in time with the RPM it could be timing chains or ??

I would try and sort out the uneven tickover first.

I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

* Calendar

June 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 [3] 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal