Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

29/03/24 - 07:12:08

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 368
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 155
Total: 155

155 Guests, 0 Users

No FI light

Started by alan29, 05/02/20 - 20:00:14

Previous topic - Next topic

alan29

Its my first post because nothing has ever gone wrong before in 4 years and 18,000 miles of ownership.
Its a 2011 XL1000.
Key in, turn on. Everything lights up (headlights etc and the usual panel lights) except for FI light which stays OFF - doesn't come on at all. Not getting the usual priming noise either.
Press starter - engine turns over fine so battery is good. But the bike doesn't start.
By mistake I tried to start it earlier with a newly cut unprogrammed key - got it to replace a bent spare and not yet programmed.
Could that have done it? It was on the same keyring as the programmed key - could that have scrambled the ECU?
Have spoken to the local Honda dealer who can't look at it until March and will charge me £80 to get it from my house to his shop.
Before I do that, is there anything simple I should look at - I have no mechanical/electrical skills at all beyond changing fuses etc!

S Barker

Are both keys still on the same keyring?
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

alan29

They were when I accidentally used the unprogrammed key. They aren't now and there is still no light.

John J

I would start by checking there is power to the fuel pump. Check the fuse and relay first. Fuses are under the seat in front of the battery and the relays are situated behind the nose cone. If you have not had the nose cone off before it seems a bit daunting at first but is easy when you have done it once. You will see a line of relays and the fuel relay is second from the left as sat on the bike. I've attached a picture of my bike with the cone off so you can see where they are (mine is a 2011 as well) If you can't feel or hear the relay click when the key is turned on try swapping the relay for one of the others.
Also check your kill switch is clean and working properly.

John J

By the way, I do not think you have affected the ECU at all and providing you have one of your programmed keys near the antenna (the plastic housing that surrounds the key hole) the HISS system should be working so I doubt it's what you did with the keys. If an FI light, lights but does not go off it is usually the pulse generator at fault and if an FI light does not light at all it is often a loss of power to the fuel pump system.

alan29

Thank you very much for that.
I will do the checking when Storm Whatereveritscalled has passed over. The Irish Sea is at the bottom of my road so things are a bit lairy at the moment!
I've had to do fuses before, but never a relay, so I've not had the nose off!