collapse collapse

* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: ignition barrel intermittent jam  (Read 98 times)

K-2

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
ignition barrel intermittent jam
« on: September 23, 2018, 01:03:21 AM »
Hi has anyone had this? recently my ignition barrel is jamming on my 07 A5 vara, I can unlock the steering lock no prob, but it will then jam on OFF and will not turn to ON position,
had to push it off garage forecourt today and managed to eventually wrestle the thing free, its done it a few times now, I've already sprayed lube inside lock a few days ago, is this sounding like I need a new barrel?
Thanks for any info you can give. 

John J

• Grease Monkey
  • Varadero UK Rider
Re: ignition barrel intermittent jam
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 08:43:14 AM »
I had something similar long ago with a bike (not Varadero) and it turned out to be the key. I laid the blade part of the key on the edge of a flat surface which showed it had a slight twist, only very slight. I put the blade in a vice and squeezed it. Just the blade of course and I didn't turn the hand grip part at all. The squeeze alone was enough to flatten the blade and my problem went away.

black rider

• Spanner Man
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 07:01:48 PM »
when you say lube do you mean chain lube I don't think that would be good wd 40 would probably be good to wash it out as I would imagine chain lube would attract dust and do more harm than good graphite power is recommended it can be got in a pencil  break the pencil open to get it out and use a Stanley blade to scrape it off I suppose . then fold some paper to tip it in ? good luck a bent key sound's like the culprit .

K-2

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 09:24:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys, the lobe I used was stuff I get for my bicycle, green can, can't mind what it's called, it's more of a lube than wd40, but just checked the key and it's straight, may have to just strip it down and see what I can see.

Taught2BeCautious

• Tech
    • Varadero 125 Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 10:07:33 AM »
Do you have a spare key stashed away somewhere that you could try?

Keys and locks can wear-out over time, becoming unreliable but the best way to lubricate them is with a light dusting of powdered graphite when the internals are clean and bone-dry.
HID Bi-Xenon Headlamps
Cyclone Alarm with Remote Start
DIY K&N Air Filter
Air Inlet Mod
DIY Hugger

mr_diver

• Spanner Man
  • That's Mr Muff Diver to you!
    • www.adventurebikers.net
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 12:49:51 PM »
Yeah. My last v strom could be started key pulled stright out... handed to my mate on the bike next to me and collected from him later on.

It was an on going joke.

You could have a look online for a full lock set, used maybe as new will be 400 ish. Make sure you get 2 keys.
If the bike has HiSS you will need the ecu from the other bike if buying used. You can't reprogram a used ecu with new keys without the old keys... keys and locls for modern bikes are a PITA
The Rantings of A Crazed Lunatic.
http://www.adventurebikers.net

* Calendar

October 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal