Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

20/05/24 - 22:01:44

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2,725
  • Latest: Candz
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,915
  • Total Topics: 11,005
  • Online today: 39
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32

32 Guests, 0 Users

Replacement tyres for the Varadero 125

Started by AliB, 21/09/15 - 11:08:53

Previous topic - Next topic

AliB

Hi
I'm new to all of this, never used a forum before and only passed my CBT 3 weeks ago at the tender age of 53. I picked up an 07 plate Varadero 125 yesterday, its a fuel injection model with just over 7000 miles on the clock in metallic black. It still has it's original Bridgestone Trail Wings on it and although they still have life in the tread I think I would rather have something a little less knobbly on it. I know the Pirelli Scorpion MT90 is the other OEM tyre fitted and the S/T version looks pretty good and less like an off-road tyre but some reviewers have criticised the wet grip, being new to biking I don't want any nasty surprises. Does anyone have any experience of these or any other tyres that suit the baby Vara. Sorry if I'm starting a new thread on an old topic but the last tyre posts I saw were quite old

mart360

Ive just replaced the bridgestones with the scorpions

Not a lot of choice, due to the wierd wheel sizes honda went with

Mart 

bowsk

Thats 2 for the MT90's. Very limited choice!

gary68

I'm just about to get new tyres on my baby vara. Anyone used metzeler tourance.. What experience have you had.? I'm only commuting with zero dirt maybe a little bit gravel.. Be glad to hear any thoughts you have.. Cheers

gary68

Update..... The place I was getting the bike mot'd got some pirelli scorpion trail. Didn't have anything else due to weird sizes.. Hope they gonna do the  job

Jayling28

I personally recommend Avon RoadRiders. They are amazing both in the wet and dry and surprisingly good on the loose stuff. (i may have taken her green laning on those tyres) They have insane grip in the wet and dry. Just to give perspective, i am able to lean my 125 right over on them and drag peg along the ground. They are remarkably good for mid range tyres in terms of price although more like high end in quality and such. Mileage i can't really comment but I've had about 3.5k miles out of mine thus far with still plenty of tread. Ice as with any tyre is never going to be its strong suit but as long as its not sheet ice i found them tolerable.

They seem to be the perfect balance between softness for grip and hardness for mileage. If you fancy seeing the green laning my YouTube channel (Sofa Bear) has some videos.
Current Bike - Baby Dero
Full Stainless System
Oxford heated grips
Taller touring screen
Small top box
Loobman Chainoiler

Previous Bike - Honda Vision 50

Swillow

mr_diver

Bridgestone Trail/battle Wings... least said the better = Death Wings.
The newer A40's are getting good reviews, but I don't know if they come in Baby Vara sizes.

Avon Roadriders are pants... I have a set on my '83 CX500.
they are old tech, single compound 15 year old design and shiyt on a good day.
They ain't cheap either for that they are.

The Scorpion trails will be far far better tyres.
I've test ridden a few new bikes like the CB500x and VFR800x fitted with them and can honestly say they stick well dry or wet.

Happy riding.

black rider

I have liked Pirellis  for years  they make good tyres they might not last long but by golly are they sticky anyone remember these ad's . this chick was the woman of my dreams 20 years ago  . http://media.digitalpostercollection.com/2016/01/1997-Pirelli-Dragon.jpg   . sorry its not much help but I though it worth sharing  8)