collapse collapse

* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Minor accident and insurance  (Read 3858 times)

Mihai

• Spanner Man
  • Varadero 125 V7
Minor accident and insurance
« on: July 26, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »
Hello,

Unfortunately I have to start this post using the word unfortunately.
This morning on my way to work I had a minor accident and I hit a car turning left.
It was totally my fault, I was not concentrated on the road and I saw it in the last moment. I hit the brakes and slammed in his right rear side, in his stop light.
Only if I was a bit more careful at the road, a quick swirl around him would have saved me of all this trouble.
Damage: - coolant reservoir snapped and I need a new one
- Left fairings including the turn light

That is about all the damage I could see, I am alright, just a stiff neck.

And this is how I got it home :)

The video of the accident is here. As you can see, I was daydreaming and I deserve all the bollocks about being a bad rider.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmmrqbKB-Yc

My question is about the insurance. We exchanged details, I gave him my insurance but the one he had was from Poland and I realised that just as I got home :(
It is not a lot of work on the bike to get it in shape again, and I would prefer to do the work myself, but should I let my insurance know, or walk it away?
57 plate Baby Varadero
Name: Xena
Givi Tall Screen - Centre Stand - H&P Top Box
K&N Air Filter - SP Engineering Silencer

BigYin

• Tech
  • Life is an adventure
Re: Minor accident and insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 03:35:41 PM »
If the other driver informs his insurance company, yours will find out about it pretty damned quick, however if you get in touch with him and agree to pay for his repair costs then that may be avoided.

Once you tell your insurer, that's logged as an accident, even if you don't claim. I don't agree with that, but it seems to be the way it works.

It may be that the cost of a new rear quarter panel, a new boot, new lights and new bumper for his car will pretty much force you to use the insurance route.

You can potentially choose not to claim for the damage to your bike, but you'd need to agree that with the insurer if you're already using them to sort the guy's car...

Hope you can get it sorted.

I'm glad you're ok - important lesson learnt I hope! 

Mihai

• Spanner Man
  • Varadero 125 V7
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 05:09:31 PM »
Oh, lesson learned big time! :'(

Before buying the bike I saw hundreds of videos with motorbike accidents and I was thinking that I will be fine, that I will react in time in case something happens.
Also, doing BikeSafe last week got me to be a bit cocky because I did so well.
Looks like I am a simple human after all.

Already ordered the parts from fleabay, found a Baby Vara being dissembled and I took advantage of the situation.
57 plate Baby Varadero

Grievesy

• Spanner Man
  • V5 Baby Varadero
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 07:19:58 PM »
Important lesson learned then Mihai - always pay attention!

I've had a similar one but mines involved a mini raised roundabout that snuck up on me, how I managed to stay on I have NO idea...

Bikes are just metal and plastic which are easy to replace. you are not
Fitted: Centre Stand, heated grips, hand guards,  GIVI tall windshield, GIVI E22 panniers & topbox

Drooling at: Bellypan

Living the dream!

S Barker

• Administrator
  • Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 08:20:57 PM »

Only if I was a bit more careful at the road, a quick swirl around him would have saved me of all this trouble.

I'm not so sure about that.

Other than the car and van in front stopping, the other danger was the car coming in the oposite direction waiting to turn right accross your path !

It looks like the car in front has stopped to let him turn. If the car turning right had started to move and you tried to go around the car in front you could have been a lot worse off.
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

numptyspence

• Top Tech
  • Is there another word for synonym?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 09:18:37 PM »
After the experience i have had with the insurance approved repair company i would say fix it yourself if you can

However you might be surprised how much it will cost to fix the damage to the car and for that reason you will most likely have to let them sort it out.

And just learn from the experience
YoU CaNt AlWaYs GeT WhAt YoU WaNt BuT If YoU TrY YoU MiGhT JuSt GeT WhAt YoU nEeD .................. ;->

june125

• Spanner Man
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 06:09:20 PM »
Glad you are ok Mihai.
June

Mihai

• Spanner Man
  • Varadero 125 V7
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 05:33:45 AM »
Thank you for your kind words and for advices.
I will fix my bike myself, the parts should arrive in a few days and I should be able to ride Xena in the weekend. Fingers crossed.

Have a good week  ;)
57 plate Baby Varadero

aboynamedsue

• Tech
  • You came in that thingYou're braver than I thought
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 06:47:04 PM »
Looking at the damage to the car it doesn't look cost effective to pay for the repair. Let the insurance deal with it. That's what you pay your premium for. It might go up a bit but not as much as replacing all those parts on your bike and the car.

* Calendar

September 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
[20] 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal