Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

13/05/24 - 07:48:49

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,915
  • Total Topics: 11,005
  • Online today: 83
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 39
Total: 39

39 Guests, 0 Users

my varadero refuses to start unless bumped...

Started by spanielgita, 13/08/14 - 20:49:20

Previous topic - Next topic

spanielgita

OK so I have a 2005 varadero xlv.

I can bump start her and she runs sweet as but if I try to start from ignition I get nothing but a single loud click from the solenoid.

Bought a new solenoid, battery, starter motor and checked all fuses.

So far I have checked

Checked starter diode continuity OK

Battery voltage 12.96

Neutral switch checked OK.(broken screw thread now)

Checked earth over front sprocket, cont OK, cleaned and reattached. Checked earth between earth and frame = no cont.
Between crank and earth = cont OK.

Clutch switch continuity OK

Side stand switch cont OK up and down.

Checked cont between clutch switch and battery fine.

Cont between starter motor and solenoid OK

Things to check still and do;

Unthread air filter screw
Epoxy glue neutral switch?

Ignition switch

Checked earth over front sprocket, cont OK, cleaned and reattached

So I'm a bit at my wits end now. Some help would be gladly received. I do have a Haynes manual but its limited I guess.

jackyork

Is it FI ? Does the FI light go out before you try to start it? It might otherwise be a HISS fault; do you have a spare key? If not which crook, up the chain, pinched it?

JK
'12 reg XL1000VA, Previous; '08 XL1000V

S Barker

If your getting a loud click from the starting solenoid it must be either the connection to the starter motor or the starter motor itself.
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Tarwdu

You have done the obvious things that could go wrong.  Here are some extra tips.
1. Put a voltmeter accross the battery whilst you press the starter switch.  A big volt drop would indicate a large current flow telling you that the starter is fecd.

2. Get a jumper lead and connect it from the starter motor body directly back to the battery.  This will eliminate any bad earth connections.

3. Put a jumper lead from the battery positive to either the solenoid or directly to the starter motor. (be careful in doing this by not touching any earth points) This will eliminate any bad conections between the battery and the starter motor itself.

Hope this helps
Gareth
My initials are GS, but I ride a Varadero.

Sdapeze

Not sure I would want to get on the wrong side of a bloke (or woman for that matter) who could bump start a Vara.
Longinus Sdapeze, oldest recorded inhabitant of Camulodunum, a Thracian cavalry officer who died in the year 50AD. If he were alive today he would have ridden a white Varadero with ABS, heated grips and a Palmer screen. Probably! Just like mine.

spanielgita

Hello again, I don't think its the f1 light comes on buy I'll recheck it.

Thanks for the pointers I'll give them a go tomorrow.

I know its not the starter motor itself as I bought it from a working varadero which started up no problem.

Haha it took two of us to bump her! On sitting on and me pushing...

Would she bump start If it were a hiss issue?

I'm going to work on her again tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for your input guys.

S Barker

If your sure it's not the starter and the relay is clicking then is must be the relay that is faulty or a connection to the relay.

spanielgita

Didn't get a chance to work on her this morning  :-\

The relay and starter motor were replaced from a healthy starting varadero. Excuse my ignorance but how would I check the wiring from the relay?

I checked the continuity from the relay to the starter motor already.

S Barker

Make up a test lead using a couple of pieces of wirer and a 12v bulb (or use a voltmeter if you can get hold of one).

Ground one of the wires to the frame of -ve terminal and touch the other wire to the input side of the starter relay. The bulb should light up.

Move the wire from the input side of the relay to the output side and press the starter button. again the bulb should light up.

If it doesn't then the relay is the problem. If it does move the wire to the +ve connection on the starter. Press the starter button. Light on = starter shagged. Light of = connection or cable problem.

spanielgita

Ok it was the starter motor after all. Even though I bought a new one it must have broke during removal. Anyway, I soldered it back to life and the varadero fires up great now. Thanks for the advice guys.