Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

16/04/24 - 05:12:11

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,914
  • Total Topics: 11,004
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60

60 Guests, 0 Users

NEWBIE CAMPING.....

Started by SARAHS GRANDAD, 04/06/10 - 21:49:01

Previous topic - Next topic

SARAHS GRANDAD

Hi Guys..... ;)  well at the age of 54 I'm thinking of going camping with the vara and not the wife....oo..er, so any tips or pitfalls on equipment sites etc would be most welcome.
Trying to sell the idea to my brother in law but he doesn't seem very keen, ay 6'5'' he would have to sleep with his feet outside i guess!!  <dance>
Some lightweight tents that i'v seen are bloody expensive, and some on fleabay are bloody cheap, so any advice would be welcome
cheers all
OK WILMA!!

varavaravoom

bought a Coleman aviator2 tent last year based on pack size and weight. side door was great but soon after use i realised it was too small, no room to get changed.
bought a vango sigma300 this year, much more room makes the trip far better, slightly bigger pack size and weight but sure the varadero would not even notice that.

tomhowe

Following on from what Varavaravoom says, never buy a 2-berth tent  if there's two of you.   You'll need a 3-berth just to fit in with some comfort.   A 4-berth actually makes a lot more sense, and if you get one that you can sit upright in on a camping stool, even better.   Having to always sit on the ground isn't a lot of fun...

Unless you want really minimal tent size and weight, the bike can accommodate a quite large tent + all the equipment.   I find putting the tent fabric 'loose' in the top-box and carrying the poles on top of a pannier is the easy way to go.   But everyone works out what they need and how to carry it quite quickly! :D
My imaginary friend thinks you've got serious problems.

Mark H

For me, it depends on your intentions. Short camping trips close to home, you can get away with cheaper kit and less of it. You don't need to go to Azerbaijan on your first trip.

Start off with a cheap small tent (it may only have to last one trip after all) a half decent sleeping bag (the more money you spend the smaller they pack up) a very expensive self inflating ground mat (it'll last you forever)

Try and only go camping by motorcycle whilst it is warmish and dry 8-) Don't feel the need to go miles from home for the first few trips; you'll learn from them.

Above all, enjoy. The kit doesn't matter - often less is more - its the fact that you're out there doing it...

Team DNF is now just waiting for another arse kicking...

jmann

for me its about weight and size more than anything ...im on a 125 for god sake it wont haul the earth behind me like a 1000cc bike will so i had to think about what i really needed to take ..

im away in a few weeks doing approx 800miles round trip and im taking only the following

a 1 man tent from halfords ..cost 20.00 small and light and easy to put up
a rolled up tent that will keep me warm even if it gets down below -10
knife fork spoon torch ,small army style cooking tin ,mug etc. ..all from my local 99p store

change of clothes etc

and that is pretty much it .apart from the tent and sleeping bag it all goes in a medium size holdall that i will bungee to the seat behind me ..

so you don't really need to take a lot .just go for the ride ..worry about all that other stuff after..lol

SARAHS GRANDAD

Just wot I thought , excellent down to earth sensible advice,................. why cant life always be like this??  :beer:
I reckon that less is more and where i live in the Eden valley I am only 40 mins from sw scotland, borders,Northumberland,  Lakes and Yorks Dales so I have a great choice!
Looking forward to it............
Hubba Hubba
Cheers Guys
OK WILMA!!

gosh the mackem

check out the argos tents ,,,,,,,very cheap .but good brands.....
?20 for a 2 man(very wide 1.5m)2skin REGATTA tent ....sleeping bag sale also on.... :applause:
go online argos shop and see ....OR halfords sale on as well.

big al

if you want to suss out wot you want and at an affordable  price, try the GO-CAMPING store at coatbridge, everything you'l need then some, only you can decied wot you'l need and wot you can actualy take on your trip, based on time spent away, ie: clothes, towels, wash bag, are you eating out or cookin for your self, weather, will it be bone dry for the duration of your trip and can you get clothes dried etc etc, if stayin in good old blighty, just take the car cause it'l prob p*ss down  :tickedoff:, good luck and enjoy your trip  :beer:
keep it real and don't kid yourself, remember, someone will always see you, and laugh like hell

jmann

just realised i mentioned a rolled up tent as well as a 1 man tent ...lol what i meant to say was sleeping bag and not rolled up tent ...massive typo on my part ..

anyway back to the subject .the guys are right its worth looking at various places that sell camping gear to see whats available then decide what is best for you
i am only taking a one an tent because i only plan on sleeping in it so i dont worry about having extra room in fact there is enough room for me and my gear in there .

also if the weather happens to turn nasty i will be camping at places i know i can pitch a tent and that have facility for drying clothes /eating/drinking etc so im lucky in that respect i
but hey if i get wet ..i get wet and ill live with it ..

tiggy

I've got a 3 man tent with an awning which is great for putting the gear in. Inside is a standard double 6 inch deep inflatable mattress (?20 ish argos) with a fitted sheet and quilt, no pillows as they are built in to the mattress. I had to buy an oversized waterproof bag from a caravan site to fit it all in but it works well.. just roll out the tent and plug in the pump to the bikes electrics and by the time you've got the poles up and top sheet on, the mattress is inflated and your ready to walk to the pub or whatever.. It looks like a large bag but if you consider there is a tent, mattress and quilt all in one it leaves the rest of your bike free for anything else you might want to take with you..
Hope it helps,
Have fun,
Ride safe..
Dirty side down...
Ride it like you stole it....
Growing old is inevitable.. Growing up is optional...

Jackotter

I've found versatility is key, I like walking so got a DOE recommended Vango tent for 3 light and small, a thermarest (really small mattress) and an army sleeping bag for all conditions (temp wise).
It all packs down to a medium sized waterproof role bag that sits on my back seat with space for a trangia gas cooker set too.
Perfect for me.
Key really is finding what works for you. I love sleeping outdoors so when I found this out I got the kit that makes it most comfortable for me. 
Trying is the first step to failure

numptyspence

My tip would be to not pitch your tent next to someone who snores  :D
YoU CaNt AlWaYs GeT WhAt YoU WaNt BuT If YoU TrY YoU MiGhT JuSt GeT WhAt YoU nEeD .................. ;->

gingerchin

i bought one of these little chaps ..............

http://www.slumit.co.uk/cub2.html

only problem is the ground sheet is way too thin hence they sell/supply an extra ground sheet which makes for more weight/less space !!

a ?5 6'x6' tarp from Lidl  does the same job mind !!

http://www.slumit.co.uk/flashframe.html
HOC 28770
I GOT FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES                                                              
Treat lifes little  problems like your dog would, if you cant eat it or shag it,  PISS ON IT and walk away !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vK4zJ80l5M

Bodysurfer

Stan bought one of these http://www.caseysoutdoorleisure.co.uk/vango-zetes-300-tunnel-tent---ensignbluebell-109-p.asp for this years trip. He had it from a mob in the westcountry for ?35. It's last years colour and not at all fashionable :D It's well made and has plenty of room for two and has a fairly small pack size. I've had a Vango for a few years and it's stood the test of time.
You could have a look at the Touratech catalogue or website. They have some really neat ideas but their prices are eyewatering and reduce me to fits of laughter. You can take an idea and adapt it.

For example, one table as knocked up by Stanley, bodger extraordinaire.
Don't hit anything you can't eat in one meal

Harv

Quoteone table as knocked up by Stanley
I can just see it now, the flickering candle on the shining table....  ;)
You and Stanley sat cross legged eating your dates..... ::)
The smell of the burning hash drifting in from the Toureg camp..... :wacko:
Monnlight glinting on the peaks of the Atlas range.... :smitten1: :smitten1: :smitten1:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path..... and leave a trail...!

.....and remember, "Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak"