Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

28/03/24 - 09:06:02

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 263
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

197 Guests, 0 Users

sump pan leaking oil

Started by black rider, 05/05/18 - 14:23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

black rider

after the first proper spin this year on my varadero 1000 I went to wash the flies off  it  after a few days of it being parked on the high stand  and  I notice  a small pool of oil had formed under the bike it had run down the leg of the stand on closer inspection I noticed it was the sump plug like a fool I thought it just needed nipping up a little with the torque wrench I was wrong . I cracket the case and it started to leak heavier . I have managed to source a second hand oil pan for a reasonable price and I got in touch with david silver spares who advised me I needed to buy a tube of Honda gasket paste that costs ?33 to fit it . I cant seem to find the torque setting for the bolts ormuch info at all in the Haynes manual it suggests new o rings all right . if any one can give me any advise on the matter please it would be great thanks . like the torque setting or a more affordable liquid gasket or any advise at all please . its a beautiful day out and I cant ride my bike  :(  I was talking to a bloke in a bike shop and I got a reasonable quote including oil and filter so I may well go with that but I am thinking of buying a new  torque wrench and doing it myself too ?

S Barker

The Honda workshop manual does not give a torque value for the sump bolts. It just says tighten in a criss cross pattern.

I'm not sure what size the sump bolts are but I suspect they would me M6 and torqued  10 to 12  Nm. Given that you managed to strip the drain plug which is torqued to 30 Nm do you really want to risk the crankcase  ?

I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

black rider

thank you very much and no  I don't want to strip the crank case bolts I borrowed a decent torque wrench from a friend today that goes down to 10 nm . I will wait and see hopefully I get more reply's maybe somebody has a Honda manual and would be so kind as to look it up .  the quote price could be just to get me in the door then it could be a lot more I don't know if vat was included in the quote ? I am wondering what liquid gasket is the best one to use too and how much . any more help would be great please .

S Barker

Quote from: black rider on  05/05/18 - 21:18:26
Maybe somebody has a Honda manual and would be so kind as to look it up

Quote from: S Barker on  05/05/18 - 17:10:14
The Honda workshop manual does not give a torque value for the sump bolts. It just says tighten in a criss cross pattern.

If you use the search function here you will find links to downloadable copies of the Honda workshop manual.
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

black rider

thanks again I will do tomorrow off to sleep now .  there is  instant gasket called hondabond available on ebay from the USA but I think locktite will probably do just as good ? and can be bought nearby .

black rider

an update .I ended up taking it to a bike shop to get it fitted for peace of mind  it cost ?112 that's will an oil and filter change  I am happy with that and I will buy a chain and sprocket set off the bloke as I feel he was very fair with me plus  the ?39  for the secondhand sump pan  off ebay . I got it home today and went for a 60 mile ride it was great to be back on it nice dry day but not too warm out . I am not fully sure what happened to it maybe it was jacking it up with a trollie jack to change the front tyre even though I used a piece of wood  maybe its my crappy old torque wrench . so my advise is buy a decent torque wrench and be careful jacking up the bike . its a pretty flimsy design so easy does it . its washed up and full of petrol just waiting to be ridden  8)  ride safe