Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

29/03/24 - 06:12:20

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 368
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 291
Total: 291

291 Guests, 0 Users

Help trouble shooting an engine issue

Started by Karlos, 15/05/18 - 09:09:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Karlos

Hey guys,

Been working on a few bits to improve the ride, had my bike for almost 4 years and the ride is noticeable different from when I first got it, naturally things have worn and things need replacing.

I have done the following which has improved things greatly, replaced, chain, sprockets, sparks, wheel cush things, clutch friction plates, clutch springs, however, despite off of this making the ride o so much better, there is one final issue I have yet to nail on the head.

This is hard to describe so bare with me, when I'm riding, lets say doing 50 in 5th (gear does not matter but will do for example) I'm cruising along and the traffic slows, not enough to break but enough to release the throttle and slow down. I've noticed more recently that there is this massive drag at the point I ease the throttle, when I apply throttle again to speed up, if feels as though something engages slightly delayed and clicks into place and suddenly power and the bike kicks forward slightly, harder than it should, there is also a distinct clang as this happens. This happens in any gear and makes slow manoeuvres a nightmare as the bike jerks back and forward as I try to gentle apply the throttle. Its worth noting that when shifting between 1-3 there are loud clangs as the bike shifts, despite the shift now being 100% easier since replacing clutch pad & springs, I can even now use neutral without fighting the with the bike every time 1st-2nd-1st-2nd-1st-neutral is a thing of the past.

Now I know what your thinking, misaligned wheels, lose chain, rubbing break pads, none of those are the cause, the bike rides smooth if I pull the clutch in and coast.

I imagine the issue lies between the clutch and the engine but my experience of such parts are non existence and my google foo is failing me as I try to google everything I described above.
XL125 Varadero 07

HEDLEY326

It might not be the issue, but I'd possibly suggest upgrading your fuel pump. Also change your fuel filter. May help, may not.

Karlos

Given the symptoms and how it feels i'm gonna go with something is lose or bent in the transmission section.

Haynes manual is not very helpful when it comes to inspecting that, seems to want me to strip the bike down, is it possible to replace parts on the transmission without completely stripping the engine out? Would hope it was as simple as replacing clutch plates.

Might have to pop this one in the garage.
XL125 Varadero 07

Karlos

Issue resolved!

Have not ridden all week, finally got bike into garage to have a look at her and the guys noticed the back wheel was loose!? Slightly confused, baring in mind I replaced the cush and sprockets last month I'm really embarrassed like I don't know how to work a spanner... So they stripped it all down cleaned it up and located my problem. Cush rubbers I replaced last month have been destroyed, it looks like they were part of the latest marvel film and Thanos clicked his fingers and poof.

Slightly concerned that these disintegrated so easily, purchased from wemoto brand new, I assume these were the cheapest possible rubber, not sure exactly where one should look for these now, only seem to be found on ebay or wemoto.

Edit:
Found another site (Fowlers Parts) I previously had a garage recommend some years back but forgot its name and could never find it until now! twice the price but hopefully the part will be of better quality.
XL125 Varadero 07