Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

29/03/24 - 05:21:40

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 298
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 297
Total: 297

297 Guests, 0 Users

1999 V1000 gearing up??

Started by Toomanytoys, 09/08/19 - 12:31:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Toomanytoys

Hi
Had a bit of a search and seems some have altered the gearing but didn't find much conclusive..
as I shall use my Varo for some long distance commuting, would be handy to reduce rpm at cruising speeds, engine feels more than happy enough to pull taller gearing as it pulls really well..
hopefully it will improve the mpg a bit too
Anyone dropped 3 teeth off the rear sprocket for a more relaxed ride??
Cheers
Si

mr_diver

I've changed the gearing on my '09 FI Vara.

I don't know if the carbed ones are the same but your speedo will be out if they are.
The pickup is from the RHS from the gearbox.
I thought I could live with the Speedo being out and adjust in my head... But it also throws out the odometer (more than 10% in my case) and therefore your trip meters and Fuel range/consumption reading.
That's kinda an important thing when touring and trying to track distance or find fuel.

I bought a Healtech Speedo healer, about £85 and now the speedo is within 0.5mph @70mph of true speed by GPS.
You can also not have it calibrate for Stock gearing inaccuracy and you'll have the same (in)accuracy level as stock from the factory.

TBH I found the stock gearing on the Carbed 5speed and my Fi bikes to both be on the high side. Meaning I regularly stalled the Varadero and never my other bikes.
I wanted to drop the gearing to make 6th more usable as I don't do much travelling on M-ways and find 1st and 2nd too high in town.
So I dropped one tooth on the front.

I understand the 5 speed lacks that extra gear, but I never found it that much of a issue on my mates.

A good website is Gearing Commander-
select your bike and you can play around to your hearts content.
pay attention to the wear table at the bottom- Honda cocked up the gearing and have a habit of doing it on other bikes.
Dropping one tooth on the front should make my chain last that bit longer.

aboynamedsue

you'll spend all the money on the mods to save on mpg , just buy a 1.0L car