Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

13/05/24 - 05:26:16

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,915
  • Total Topics: 11,005
  • Online today: 83
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49

49 Guests, 0 Users

Misfire in the wet problem solved

Started by mick, 02/04/05 - 20:04:56

Previous topic - Next topic

mick

I know I have not posted the problem, but I thought I would post the solution.

My bike was running great in the dry but at the first hint of water it would start misfiring under acceleration. Even on a damp road with no rain the spray from the car in front would cause the problem.

I tried silicone spray, new plug caps, damp start, etc, etc but the problem persisted.

The solution is Self Amalgamating Tape wrapped around the HT leads and coils along with front sparkplug cover by Max O0. The leads had been earthing against the engine when damp and the tape insulates and waterproofs up to 38kV.

This may be obvious and I am sorry if I am teaching the suck eggs thing but I thought this might help someone.

P.S. Thanks again to Max for all of his help.

filmbuff

Solution for problem not yet encountered much appreciated...
                                                                                                     Regards
                                                                                                                   Eggsucker

O0
"I have been a rover. I have walked alone. Hiked the hundred highways. Never found a home. Still in all, I'm happy..."  Sinatra

Varaderoguy

No hassles - two Varaderos; you get to know its querks
HOC member 28728 - IAM member 326140

MacValk

Mick, with posts like that,... you should post more often O0 O0 O0
Welcome O0
***   Its "Hard as Fuck Purple" I tell ya!  ***

Mike - Apiarist

Quote from: mick on  02/04/05 - 20:04:56
I know I have not posted the problem, but I thought I would post the solution.

My bike was running great in the dry but at the first hint of water it would start misfiring under acceleration. Even on a damp road with no rain the spray from the car in front would cause the problem.

I tried silicone spray, new plug caps, damp start, etc, etc but the problem persisted.

The solution is Self Amalgamating Tape wrapped around the HT leads and coils along with front sparkplug cover by Max O0. The leads had been earthing against the engine when damp and the tape insulates and waterproofs up to 38kV.

This may be obvious and I am sorry if I am teaching the suck eggs thing but I thought this might help someone.

P.S. Thanks again to Max for all of his help.

Not much has changed in biking!? My KH250 and 350 did the same 30 years ago, spend hours working out how to keep the water off the central lead.? Extra mud-flap, water proof coating the leads, and so on.? mainly put up with the sudden loss / or burst of power at it worked or not.? Cornering was a total lottery. . . not helped by the tires available in those days.

8)
Biking is my 2nd childhood.  On my 3rd Varadeo.

MacValk

Quote from: Mike - Apiarist on  03/04/05 - 12:19:41
Not much has changed in biking!? My KH250 and 350 did the same 30 years ago, .................... not helped by the tires available in those days.

8)

When I were a lad......
;D
***   Its "Hard as Fuck Purple" I tell ya!  ***

Harv

Holts ...or someone like them...cant remember now.....do a spray product called 'Ignition Sealer' and it comes in an aerosol form. Unlike WD and the like this stuff drys to a rubber like coating. I use it on all my off road stuff.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path..... and leave a trail...!

.....and remember, "Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak"

The voices made me do it!!

yeah your right Harv, it is Holts. sometimes called Autoplast.

I used the ignition sealer on my race car and upset the marshalls in the pits as it caught fire on start up.? ?>:(? Be warned. >:(

? Voices
Objects in your mirror disappear quickly under acceleration.

mick

One of the many things I tried was Holts Damp Start Autoplast "ignition sealer", it was good for about 2 days but after that I had the same problem, maybe vibration cracked the film? :uglystupid2:

lee540

Digging up a really old topic..

My bike is suffering these problems..

Dry use, perfect.. hint of water and crazy misfire, won't idle.. till it drys out completely and all is well again.

2 new coils ordered with new leads, plugs and NGK caps.. looks like might be a good idea to also look at this plug cover setup. Anyone else other than Varaderoguy and the OP made one?

lee540

Plastic spade connectors shorting out in the rain.. replaced now and all is well..

Made one of these covers using some perspec bought from modelling shop but going to remove and remake again in a nicer material