Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

29/03/24 - 06:20:09

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 368
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 274
Total: 274

274 Guests, 0 Users

HISS ignition key programming

Started by Rafa, 29/03/20 - 15:26:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafa

Hello again.
When I bought my XL1000 v2 Varadero it only had one ignition key. After learning that if I lost/damaged the key and more importantly the transponder inside it, I would have to shell out a fortune on a new ignition system. So I bought a key with the ID46 transponder in it. Borrowed the special wiring loom with the resistor in it, from a  mate in my bike club. Connected it into the ignition pulse generator connector of the ICU. Then NOTHING. I couldn't get the ICU into Key registration mode. The removal of the positive crocodile clip of the wiring loom off the battery and then putting it back on again after a few seconds had no effect. I tried for hours with no luck. Then I went on the internet on another forum and found that other people had experienced the same problem on early Varaderos. If anyone can shed any light on the subject I would be grateful. Thanks. 

S Barker

Some people manage this without any issues.

Others struggle and eventually have to get their local Honda dealer to register the new Key.

I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Rafa

Thanks. It looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and visit Honda.

Snurrepus

I had to use an extra (car) battery that was absolutely top charged, and connected the two batteries in parallell.
Good luck.

The Prodded Dog

Had this done recently.
Couldn't get it to work following the "special " lead instructions.
Local Honda mechanic did it in twenty minutes and cost £40.
Muttered something about only needing a 5 volt battery but was cagey about how he did it.
Trust the experts.
The Prodded Dog.
I can still do all the things I could when I was 21, but now it is with less teeth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtp4adNTP0Y

Rafa

I've tried doing it with a different lead and tried it whilst the battery was connected to a charger. Still nothing. I'm frightened of doing damage to the ICU. I think Honda may be the best option. Although I've been doing a bit of research online and found a few locksmiths who say they can 'clone' my original key, from between £60 and £85.

Rafa

I've finally found a solution to my spare key problem. I found a locksmith that could cut me a new key and clone the transponder chip. The key is a good quality Silca key and it works perfectly. All for just £35. Bargain.

S Barker

Quote from: Rafa on  15/04/20 - 19:07:54
I've finally found a solution to my spare key problem. I found a locksmith that could cut me a new key and clone the transponder chip. The key is a good quality Silca key and it works perfectly. All for just £35. Bargain.

Did you take the old key to him or post it ?
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Rafa

I took it to him. He was open because he's a 'key' worker.