Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

18/04/24 - 09:34:33

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2,722
  • Latest: carlfh
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,914
  • Total Topics: 11,004
  • Online today: 179
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 91
Total: 91

91 Guests, 0 Users

Which coolant

Started by Itsratman, 26/01/20 - 21:15:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Itsratman

Hi All
I apologise if this topic has been covered already, was wondering what was the best coolant for my 2008 varadero xl1000 been looking at Castrol Motorcycle Coolant but it says do not use in magnesium alloy engines, does this apply to my bike, where do I find this information my book just says make sure its ethylene glycol based, last time I used hondas own coolant but getting a bit expensive now so thought I'd explore other options.

S Barker

The Honda manuals don't specify coolant in the same way they do for Brake fluid, Oil etc. (DOT, SAE).

If you are draining the cooling system make very sure that you have re-filled it correctly and removed all the air.  It's possible to have a pocket of air trapped in one of the cylinders which will lead to overheating.

I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Itsratman

Hi. Yes was planning on draining the system, flushing out and adding new coolant along with new filters, oil & plugs, a full service. Done the coolant a couple of times now but always used hondas coolant & was looking for an alternative this time, Castrol seems to have quite good reviews & is a lot cheaper but then read the warning about magnesium alloy engines.