Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

23/05/24 - 04:25:22

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2,725
  • Latest: Candz
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,915
  • Total Topics: 11,005
  • Online today: 38
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 27
Total: 27

27 Guests, 0 Users

What Sat Nav?

Started by goj, 02/03/08 - 16:43:16

Previous topic - Next topic

goj

Hello all,
Could anyone recommend a good Sat Nav (able to use on the bike & maybe the Car too) - prefer the option of getting hold of / purchasing / downloading European Maps & to include the option of eastern Bloc maps too (eg, Hungary!) (re VIM 10 trip).
regards,
Gareth
('goj').
('GOJ' on Vara Int site). :)

S Barker

Gareth

Type Zumo into the search box then click on the search button.

SB

I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Jimbo

Undoubtedly the Zumo 550 is the best out there at the moment; however, there are some very cheap recon Streetpilot IIIs out there which perform just as well albeit a little bit slower on the calculation side. I will stick with mine until it dies and then get a Z550.

darrenlupton

I use a Zumo 550, when I got mine last year the car mount came with it (I'm not sure it does anymore). so it's perfect.

I use it Off-road too.

It comes with MapSource, a piece of software for your PC, you can plan routes and review where you've been - yes it tracks you too...  So if this is the sort of thing that appeals then it's head and shoulders above the TomTom Rider2.

Another plus is the customer service, updates are free and readily available over the web, you just plug it in and run a small addin to upgrade the unit. Mine went faulty in January, as I'd bought it from Blockesstuff.com, and they've gone bust I though I may have a problem. Nope, Garmin issued a RMA number and I returned it to them for repair - I had a new one back within the same week (sent it on Monday, new one on Thursday!).

It's good for MP3's, Bluetooth Phones (you can even read texts on the Zumo - depending on the phone you have). Personally I use a wired helmet set as the Scala stuff has limited battery life, but that's personal choice.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=414

it's pretty conclusive on the web (you can even check your phones compatibility). 

The 550 does come with european coverage, and you can purchase more detailed maps if you want for some of the old Eastern European countries (coverage provided only covers main routes).
Thankyou, and goodnight

Follow my trail - www.smokingtailpipes.com

darrenlupton

Just recieved an email from Garmin,
they have announced an upgrade to the NT Maps;

The update includes:

Increased coverage for Norway, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia, now at full country coverage
Increased address range coverage
Coverage for almost 8 million Km of roads
More than 1.5 millions POIs
Thankyou, and goodnight

Follow my trail - www.smokingtailpipes.com

goj

Thanks to all for the info on the Sat Nav - Zumo 550 looks the biz, wonder if the Zumo '500' would be just as good (if you didnt want to use it in the car that is) - thinks you might be able to add all required maps onto the 500 as an 'add on' (SD card/ downloads etc)  - but then again, may work out the same price as the 550 by the time youve bought all the extra maps!
cheers,
goj
(Gareth).

Monsieur

Zumo 550  :good:

Excellent bit of kit and easy to use and install - comes with car kit and RAM mount for your bike. Much quicker than my old Quest and now I don't have to download maps every time I leave the UK  ;D

You don't quit doing things because you're getting older; you get older because you quit doing things...