Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

28/03/24 - 08:29:33

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 179
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 185
Total: 186

185 Guests, 1 User
S Barker

Poor performance at low speed

Started by paulreed2, 28/01/19 - 21:18:46

Previous topic - Next topic

paulreed2

I have a 2002 Varadero XL1000 carburettors model
When I?m driving about 20-30 miles an hour it feels like it?s missing surging at higher speeds it?s not to bad  we?re do I start ?
It?s due for its anual service so I?ll be changing plugs, fuel filter, air filter,oil.
But to be honest I don?t think it will cure this problem any help would be appreciated
It?s driving mad and spoiling my rides
Paul.

S Barker

What RPM are you at when you're "driving about 20-30 miles a" ?
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

paulreed2

S Barker

Try coming down 1 or 2 gears and keeping the RPM above 2,500.

Balancing the carbs would probably help but I would try keeping the RPM up first.
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

mr_diver

+1

They don't like it that low down the rev range.

You have 9k rpm don't just use the first 2k.

2-3k works quite well for around town, but usually requires a gear drop to speed up.

paulreed2

Thanks for the reply?s I?ll try when it?s a bit warmer 😁

HEDLEY326

I had a fuel pump relay go on mine. I changed the fuel pump to a solid state "facet" pump and it's ran great. Keep it serviced and looked after and you should be alright. Tip is to fill it right up. If it improves then gets worse as the fuel level drops, it's a good indicator to the pump as the fuel level drops, and the pump kicks in. Over half a tank the carb picks it up through gravity I believe.

paulreed2

Thanks for your reply,
Ever felt like hitting your head against the wall I have tried almost everything filled the tank up before I ride out changed the fuel pump not a good quality one ( looking at a more expensive that?s been recommended on the forum)
I could be just me looking for something that?s not there .
When I ride my biker just don?t feel right
Even in 3rd gear at 3000 rpm it still feels if it jerking,
At high revs its a lot better but can?t ride around at high revs all the time.
I?m going to give the bike a good service (when I get some time) new plugs,air filter,oil & filter .
If it?s still the same I?ll have to bit the bullet & take it to a workshop near me who can test drive it if he agrees there a problem with it hopefully it can be sorted.
I?m getting to the stage that I?m not enjoying my rides I love my Varadero as far as I?m concerned it is a great bike that ticks all my boxes .
Thanks again Paul

HEDLEY326

I know what you mean mate. To be honest, after what you've done, just give the carbs a good clean and balance. You'll get there xx