Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

19/05/24 - 01:34:04

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,915
  • Total Topics: 11,005
  • Online today: 27
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

26 Guests, 0 Users

Airhawk seat- what size?

Started by AckAckFlack, 29/05/10 - 16:33:43

Previous topic - Next topic

AckAckFlack

Hi all I will be doing this
http://www.thelongestday.org.uk/

and I am now starting to think about adding an airhawk seat to the mighty vara.
Any recomendations to the size needed?
The medium cruiser look good but there is a large cruiser with a more of a panhandle shape- the front would presumably fit up the tank- this is where I am not sure if that would help or hinder!

Anyone experience of these?
98 Xl 1000 - Taller screen , Ohlin suspension, ESystem Scottoiler, Givi Bars, Full Honda Luggage - Orange

Jackotter

I just came back from Zams, did Zams to Calais in a day with the large cruiser airhawk. Mild aching at the end of the 655miles but nothing to complain about I HEAVILY RECOMMEND THIS (for long distances)!!!

best thing about it is when you refuel at 200miles or so you find after 5-10mins of ar5e off seat you have recharged the batteries to do another 200miles or so. The next day from Calais to Sheffield no problems at all. Worth twice it's weight in gold!
Trying is the first step to failure

Mav

Hi,

I have a the Large One and find that as the front bit doesn't sit flat on the seat ("the front would presumably fit up the tank") it causes some discomfort.

I would probably go for the Medium if I was getting another one.

AckAckFlack

Thanks for the reply.
I wondered about the large one with the pan handle.
The airhawk seems to be very popular and sadly expensive. Someone did recomend sheepskin but I think the fact that the uk weather is so changable and the bike lives outside I would be forever going out to rescue it!
98 Xl 1000 - Taller screen , Ohlin suspension, ESystem Scottoiler, Givi Bars, Full Honda Luggage - Orange

Tarwdu

I did have a pan handle airhawk until some fcuking c_nt bast_rd toerag nicked it somewhere in france.  I rode all the way to Turkey and almost back again without any discomfort to my ass.  (says a lot for big dave and rhino)
sheepskin sounds like a good idea, but the little bugger may move whilst cornering !!
I would definately buy another airhawk.  When you put your foot down to stop, the air displaces onto the other side so your inside leg measurement does not change. (hope this makes sense)
My initials are GS, but I ride a Varadero.

jolly green giant

Gareth,

What's the prices like in UK for an airhawk in large size?

Brian

Tarwdu

I bought mine on ebay, and had it shipped in from the usa.  Cannot remember all the details, but it was a company in florida.
It was the same price in sterling as us dollars eg ?130  and $130 plus shipping.
My initials are GS, but I ride a Varadero.

AckAckFlack

Quote from: jolly green giant on  02/06/10 - 11:22:08
Gareth,

What's the prices like in UK for an airhawk in large size?

Brian

there appears to be 2 prices ?150 being the most expensive.

Jackotter

there are two prices.

Fundamentally in performance there isn't much between them - My brother has the cheaper on

If (god forsake) you got a puncture in your airhawk the more expensive one is repairable.
Trying is the first step to failure

mjsmallshaw

Look at e bay.com. Much cheaper from the USA.

Papas_Pet

The UK website is http://www.airhawk.co.uk/

The medium budget size seat on this site is ?79 whereas the premium one is ?159.

I bought the pillion budget one (?79) for going to Zams and I can highly recommend this site for service and speed of delivery. You may be able to find one cheaper elsewhere but I didn't have time to wait for US delivery and I wasn't sure about shipping costs, customs etc.

I took a chance in buying the seat as I was very skeptical to begin with - how can something that looks like a minature lilo be so comfortable? I don't know how it works - but it does. I can highly recommend airhawk and I couldn't do without mine now. The trip to Vim12 was the most comfortable, pain free 2,600 miles I have ever done. :)

LazyRider

Has anyone else tried 'bubble wrap'?   The small bubble sort works quite well ;)

AckAckFlack

I bought the largest repaiable one and it arrived today.
I have a couple if bikes including an Africa twin and ride daily so I thought it would get some use and the repairable one would be best in the long run.

I am on www.thelongestday.org.uk run soon so it will come in useful - even as a pillow when camping I hope.

Thanks for the feedback will let you know how I get on.

Bubble wrap mmmm never thought of that.... Might make some and undercut the airhawk :)

LazyRider

Bogdan, founder member of the VIM, has put some 300,000 km on his 1999 Varadero and his answer to long distance touring is to use a wooden balls covering, that they sell for car seats. ;)

bristolsaint

I'm not sure about having wooden balls. A wooden arse might help more. :yahoo: