Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

29/03/24 - 06:15:30

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 368
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 279
Total: 279

279 Guests, 0 Users

Weird issue on starting

Started by Arillus, 07/07/19 - 17:44:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Arillus

Hi peops,

Hoping someone can help me with a weird intermittent issue I have been having. When starting of from still on a hill (and only then) I have an issue with so little acceleration its unreal. Bike wont go above 3 miles for about 10 seconds.rev counter doesn't move, sparks seems fine, oil changed. Not sure where to go from here.

I don't think it's the clutch as it's not increasing the revs, but I checked the cable and played with the clutch on a stand. Everything seems good on that front.

Any ideas on what might be causing it.

It's the EFI model, 57 plate.

Thanks

HEDLEY326

Possibly clogged injectors / fuel filter or air filter maybe? I would start there. Also double check the coil connection to the plugs. That's what I'd eliminate first.

S Barker

If the RPM do not rise when you're trying to pull away on full throttle with the clutch engaged then its not the clutch slipping.

If the engine will pull normally at higher RPM then its probably not the injectors.

I see from your other post this is your first bike. 

How big are you (weight ) ?

What RPM is the engine for the period when it wont pull ?

Has anyone with more experience ridden the bike and encountered the same problem ?

I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Arillus

Thanks for the reply, any guidance is appreciated.

Size wise I'm going to admit to being a rather heavy gent, definitely overweight and 6'3". While I suspect this is contributing to the issue, I don't think it's the root cause.  While I live in a pretty hilly area, I did my CBT in the next town over which is smack bang in the Derbyshire peaks without any issues.

Experienced rider wise, I don't really have anyone local whi I can ask. The dealership have done a test ride, without issue but it's really really intermittent. Consistent in its presentation, but needs quite a specific set of circumstances to occur.

HEDLEY326

Just to ask, it doesn't only occur, when it's wet/damp , does it?

Arillus

No, we've had some spectacular weather recently, and its occurred then. It seems to be on specific inclines, not even the super steep ones...and only from a dead start, seems worse when it's cold,but doesn't disappear at temperature.

Its consistent enough, that it always happens on one hill on the way to work though

HEDLEY326

See now I'm thinking that the only thing that would change, is where the fuel woud sit in the tank. Or you'rs just too much man for the bike lol.

S Barker

You said you were a big lad and that the problem "always happens on one hill on the way to work".

It's possible that there is a small problem with the bike but it's also possible that a slight change in the way you set off may help.

You didn't give us any indication of what RPM the engine is at when this happens. If the RPM is very low then keeping the RPM higher and slipping the clutch a bit until the bike is moving may help.
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Arillus

Took it back in and they have added a baffle to the exhaust. Seems to have improved things massively. It's still struggling to get to speed, but only for about half a second or so. Ran her around a circuit route doing the points were I have noticed the issue for about an hour, without a serious delay.

I'll remember to try (possibly tonight) what you suggested though S. Barker, see if that reduces it further or it resolves it completely.