Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

16/04/24 - 19:16:14

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,914
  • Total Topics: 11,004
  • Online today: 67
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 60
Total: 61

60 Guests, 1 User
varonda

baby vara, no guts issue

Started by Pommy, 28/05/18 - 21:30:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Pommy

Hi, I bought a 2001 baby vara, it was running oksih but there was a little lack of power, yes it is only a 125 but i have ridden a friends of the same year and it has more go...

Anyway i thought i would give it a service, no oil and filter, new air filter and a set of new plugs, now it's even worse.. The air filter i took out was filthy, clogged and a little damp with what looked like oil from the engine vapours.

I took off the carbs and they stunk horrid even though it had not been stood and had recently been filled with fresh fuel, I cleaned them out even though there was no gunk anyway. Still no change.

I took it for a ride for 40 minutes, came back and checked the new plugs, the rear plug was very sooty, the front almost white. This sound like mixture is wrong but i never touched any settings on the carbs and, like i said it got worse after the service and before i even took the carbs off.

So, anyone got any tips, maybe the carbs need balancing or something ? I'm stuck here.. I know my way around a bike engine but never had a v twin before.

Ratmanc

Does it pop on deceleration? If so it could be running lean. Changing the air filter is going to alow better airflow and more air into the mix. Try a little richer?

Taught2BeCautious

It could be that someone just adjusted the mixture to compensate for a blocked air filter, rather than change it - and now that you have changed it, it is not running right.

I would start with a good clean-up and a compression test and go from there.

Pommy

I was thinking about mixture but those screws are not easy to access being on the bottom of the carbs.

AnotherHonda

They aren't even easy to access with a proper tool, that said the Motion pro bits are a poor fit to the KeiHin adjuster.
88 XRV650J RD03 Africa Twin JDM #373/500
13 VFR1200X SC70, 93 NTV650P RC33, 99 ST1100AX SC26 50th #200, 00 C90MT Cub, 04 XL125V4 Varadero & 05 XL125V5 Varadero