Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

19/04/24 - 07:20:16

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2,722
  • Latest: carlfh
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,914
  • Total Topics: 11,004
  • Online today: 197
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 94
Total: 94

94 Guests, 0 Users

Draining Brake Fluid

Started by George_balance, 05/07/22 - 13:23:22

Previous topic - Next topic

George_balance

I wanted to rebuild brake calipers the other day so I did a complete brake fluid draining in order to minimize spillage leaving the system completely dry. Long story sort I added new brake fluid with the reverse method (pushing the oil from the nipples towards the reservoirs with a syringe.) After that I tried conventional bleeding method following the Haynes manual sequence order.

Front brakes are very weak now. Rear brake doesn't work at all.
Does the Honda and Haynes manual methods work after 100% Draining; Has anybody done it;

The only information I could find is a youtube video on ST1300. The mechanic claims that manual method is not working and demonstrated a tedious long procedure requiring 2 persons, one presing the pedal and one presing the secondary cylinder.

S Barker

The brakes are notoriously difficult to bleed if there is any air in the system.

one person can do it on their own. It's easier if you use a vacuum pump - Mightyvac - either on each nipple in the correct sequence or via an adapter onto the top of the reservoir(s)

https://honda-varadero-uk.org/forum/index.php?topic=9691.msg92863#msg92863

https://honda-varadero-uk.org/forum/index.php?topic=5110.msg52988#msg52988

I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

John J

I did mine last year as I had a seized piston in the rear caliper which needed a new seal. I used a vacuum pump and you definitely need to follow the bleed order listed in the manual.
Are you sure your master cylinder is working correctly as you say the front brakes are weak? Just to be sure I would quickly bleed the master cylinder through its banjo bolt to ensure it is pushing the fluid. A messy job so take the time to protect all paintwork etc.

Toomanytoys

Not specifically for the 'dero... But I have found that if the pads are out and you can get pistons to move out of the calipers when pumping the brakes... (Careful not to push pistons all the way out..) then leave it for an hour, carefully push the piston in each caliper back in forcing the fluid (and air) back to the reservoir.
may need to add fluid to get them out a ways.. and remove fluid as you pushing back.. Did this on my brother's zx9 when it had issues...worked a treat

George_balance

Proud of my work.

New brake disks front and rear. Complete brake calipers overhaul. New piston seals and dust seals. Pistons cleaned and polished like a good wife polishes her silverware, with Autosol Metal Polish. New brake pads.

However, after an exhausting try and with right hand aching from vacuum pump, air still trapped in the system. Arghh! I'll try bleeding one more time. When I succeed I feel like a demigod, when I fail I feel so tired...

PS. Original caliper mounting bolts have arrived. They'll replace those hideous ones ASAP.