Fuel Economy - personal bests

Started by Jackotter, 06/03/11 - 18:29:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackotter

Hi there, bit bored today but had to make the journey from the centre of the peak district to Edinburgh total trip length of 256miles - 140 miles on A roads (not including A1) rest on motorway

Thought I would see if it was possible using a full tank from the start - long and short of it - It is, managed to get 26 miles from my final destination in Edinburgh before the light went on - (roughly 4 litres left). I recon I have probably max 10 miles left in the tank on arrival. (Averaging 11.5miles/litre or 51.75mpg in old money)

To do this I found the bike was most economical sat at just under 70mph, so did that pretty much all the way when able to. Obviously self-restraint was a issue but overcame it when I went past a set of services charging ?1.42/litre for petrol!!!!

Wondering if anyone else has bettered this?
Trying is the first step to failure

Big Dave

Hiya Jack,

i was out yesterday with Minky, Numpty and Tiggy and
i think we all averaged over 100 SMILES per Litre  ;) .

Big Dave
Just cos your breathing doesn't mean your alive
Shiny side up:-)
Vim 10 Zanka Hungary       2008
Vim 11 Assos Turkey          2009
Vim 12 Zams Austria          2010
Vim 13 Vyhne Slovakia       2011
Vim 14 Taraggona Spain     2012
Vim 15  Cardigan   Wales    2013
Vim 16 Gerianger Norway    2014 car

tomhowe

Quote from: Big Dave on  06/03/11 - 20:50:38
Hiya Jack,

i was out yesterday with Minky, Numpty and Tiggy and
i think we all averaged over 100 SMILES per Litre  ;) .

Big Dave

And that's what counts.   Not the fuel consumption!  :)
My imaginary friend thinks you've got serious problems.

minkyhead

yep its getting a real issue          barsatards    

filling the vara  comes as real  shock   after the  wee strom and xt  660

the vara is used less and less  and just kept  for the long distance stuff  where it  exels  

when im at  work    comuting and  riding at modest speeds  the wee strom   will give   near to 70mpg  

and the xt  65   easy  
      i hope  people dont take this the wrong  way     but  i  can have more fun  for less money  on  a 600cc  bike      
      the only  time  i really  want to ride the vara  is on  a long haul  trip ..and of  course  two up  
 ...and  there aint too many of them in a year      250 to a tank is   about where i am   not  going  mad   but it  cost    3250  to fill it  on saturday     grrr        

By null at 2011-02-20
you must have been flying  cos i was going real fast when i passed you??

S Barker

Quote from: minkyhead on  06/03/11 - 22:09:41
 yep its getting a real issue          barsatards    

Who's de bastards ?
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

minkyhead

Quote from: S Barker on  06/03/11 - 22:23:08
Who's de bastards ?

shell      bp      hm  customs               twarts   as well 
you must have been flying  cos i was going real fast when i passed you??

Tarwdu

Maybe Gaddafffi is right after all.

:D
My initials are GS, but I ride a Varadero.

Earwig

Quote from: minkyhead on  06/03/11 - 22:09:41

when im at  work    comuting and  riding at modest speeds  the wee strom   will give   near to 70mpg  
and the xt  65   easy  

By null at 2011-02-20

Baby V ....... 80mpg  ;D ;D,

Ok so you do loose out on horse power, speed, accelaration and minor bits like that  :wallbash: :wacko: But cost saving as a commuting bike is worth it  ;D

Trotts

Very sad I know  ::) but  a few weeks back I did around 2000 miles around Northern Spain, into France and home.  I would always work out the mpg when brimming the tank and working out miles to fuel used.  9 full top ups.  The worst MPG was 47 MPG when in the Alps around Gap, and the best I had was 58 MPG .  The norm was around 55.  I would always start looking for petrol at around 170 ish knowing I would have around  100 miles Max  left at best.  That was fully loaded panniers top box etc and a slightly lardy rider :( 

bristolsaint

Just recently we went to Scotland, two up and loaded. A mixture of motorways, A and B roads. I never brim the tank and only ever fill it when on the side stand. Was still getting 200 miles + before countdown started. No, not Jeff Stelling and that rather attractive maths bimbo on Channel 4, the one on the dash. And I like to ride enthusiastically. But please, Mr Honda, can we have a fuel gague on the next version.

Don't really care about mpg but 200 mile tank range is handy

StarLight

I have a 2011 varadero for 4 months now, have just passed the 5.000 km mark

I've fueled up 19 times so far

average fuel consumption is 41.9 uk mpg; relatively high due to mainly commuting into brussels, lots of traffic jams to filter through and lots of accelerating/braking

highest was 38 uk mpg; funnily enough my consumption was higher in the beginning, I probably pulled the accelerator handle too hard :)

lowest so far is 50.5 uk mpg, I got this when doing highway to and from Rotterdam but mostly at only 100 km/h instead of the more normal 160 km/h :)

the last five refuels I remain more constantly in the 45-50 uk mpg zone, that works just fine for me; reasonable accelerations and reasonable fun and reasonable topspeeds on highways :)

I keep tab of my refuels on http://www.fuelly.com

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jderieuw/xl1000va-varadero

(in top left corner, at your first visit, you can switch between us/uk/metric for unit values)

Redeye

Best leg of run to VIM was 217 miles and 19.44 litres to fill which is ....... Mpg?

Harko

Quote from: Redeye on  16/06/11 - 16:37:05
Best leg of run to VIM was 217 miles and 19.44 litres to fill which is ....... Mpg?

217/(19.44/4.54) = 50.7 Mpg

phannon

Just back from first proper trip on the Vara (to Harz Mountains and Sauerland in Germany).

Bike did everything very well with no oil used (unlike the BM I used to ride).

Got between 50 - 55 MPG over the 1200 miles covered.

Only thing I am considering modifying is moving the position of bars slightly further back (possibly using small risers aswell). Anyone done the same mod?

mozza83

I'm not too impressed with my fuel consumption, I've been getting 35-40 mpg on my last few fill ups. I think I may have to adjust my riding style.
How many revs do people usually change up gear on and how many revs will you ideally cruise on?
I'm changing up on about 4.5k and cruising about 3-3.5k unless I'm on motorway speed when I'll have to cruise higher up the revs.
This is my first v-twin so I'm open to any advice folk may have on how to get the best out of the engine.