Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

28/03/24 - 08:53:46

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 263
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 255
Total: 256

255 Guests, 1 User
S Barker

Impending reg/rectifier failure symptoms???

Started by Toomanytoys, 30/03/19 - 23:15:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Toomanytoys

Had a search and not turned anything up, only hints that the recifier may be failing (and seeming it?s a known issue.)
Only done 150miles on this 1999 do 1000 so far.
Tonight, about an hours night riding and I seems to get an odd flicker from the headlamps (new bulbs installed) also. Earlier the speedo and rev counter both dropped to zero and flicked up and down, didn?t loose the trip and clock tho. Only did that for a few seconds after about 40 mins riding.
Are these typical rectifier failure symptoms?? Or am I just looking at poor connections?
I shall bang on a later reg/rectifier as a matter of course by the looks of the issues earlier bikes had...
Cheers

S Barker

Almost certainly bad connection(s).

A failed (or failing) rectifier would only be apparent once the battery was flat.
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Toomanytoys

Brilliant. 
Just been in the workshop checking a few bits.  Reg/rectifier looks like it?s been changed, large alloy one, hexagonal ish with fins.  So hope that?s good..

Ran her up. After 5 mins or so, you can?t keep your hand on the reg/rec it?s that hot.
Voltage stable at 14.5 at idle, 14.3 at 2000 +., only drops to 13.7 with all lights on (dip and pass) and heated grips on...
Temp gauge backlight isn?t working so clocks going to come out for that.  So can check wiring and connections.
The main fuse was a poor fit in the holder so swapped that out for a better quality fuse.  Checked all others. The ?spare? fuses were missing, and a 20 had been put in place of a 10..
Have dissconected and reconnected all connections I have seen.
Fairing and tank off next week then to see what else is lurking in there.
Cheers

Toomanytoys

Oh and cleaned up the indicator switch as it was very lazy to come on. 
The grease was a bit to sticky in there.  Wouldn?t allow the contact sprint to push it out..  a wipe and a squirt of WD had it moving in no time.

Toomanytoys

Haven't been out on the bike for a while..  started right up.  Went about 20 miles to my brothers house. Stopped for 20 mins and headed out for a ride with him. 
Approx 20 mins into that ride. The dash went dead and 2 mins later a misfire and then totally dead. 
No power anywhere.  Battery dead and nothing. 
Suspecting the Rev react failure or alternator failure.
Have to recover the bike back in the morning. Luckily my dad could come and pick me up.

HEDLEY326

For the sake of a new gasket, i'd whip the stator cover off and look at the coils, just to rule it out. How new is the battery? Could be, that it might be getting a charge from the system, but not holding it.
If this is the case , the stator, will work overtime and slowley burn out.

I had the same issue with the inficator. Seemed to take a second, after flicking the switch.
My indicators failed , in Berlin city centre. You never realise how vulnerable you really are without indicators.
Relay, is just under the LH cockpit trim. Right on the left of the speedo. Give it a bang and free up the sticky relay. It got me home but I replaced it and it works fine.

As I've said on other posts, you can do all the tests you want , but the only real way to check your stator, is take it out and look at it.

Toomanytoys

Already cured the indicator issue.  Sticky switch...
Battery good as it hasn't been run or on charge for weeks and started right up
Got the bike back, slapped a spare battery on (smaller from another bike) and started up, everything working.  Checked voltage at battery and not getting any charge, so either reg rectifier or alt.
Had the sticking starter solenoid again so shall have to replace that if I can't open it up to clean the contacts...

Looks like a few more tests on generation circuits..
Cheers

Toomanytoys

Hi. Been a lot going on, haven't had chance to do more on the Vara...
managed to do some research on VTR/VFR forums, seems the Reg/rect  is a common issue.
Seems that quite a few people are fitting Yamaha R6/R1 RR's as a solution.
The electrexworld mosfet RR kit also seems to be a good move.  (Not as cheap as the Yam RR mod)

M&P have the stator in (Electrosport) and I will get a new battery as that's taken a hit so could be suspect. (Charged back up ok but no battery appreciates being flattened completely)

Yes. Soon as I am back I shall be checking the stator and RR and the wiring... but with these components being quite suspect (just reading issues others have had consistently over time when changing just 1 component) I think it might be worth changing all for new to eliminate any doubts for reliability.  I shall have to use the bike for a bit of long distance commuting and really don't want to get caught out again. I don't get paid if not at work and ultimately it will cost me more in lost earnings than the components...
Going to be into £250 with all that lot... but can't ride the thing without it...

S Barker

After you've notice the Intermittent problems (lights flickering , instruments dropping to zero) do the lights still work with the engine off ? will the bike start normally on the starter button ?
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Toomanytoys

IIRC .... Everything works with a fresh battery, do have a dodgy starter solenoid which needs changing...
Will do some checks this afternoon as now back off holiday and need some "mechanical therapy"....

Toomanytoys

Ok. So after disconnecting  everything, removing the regulator and inspecting testing as best I could.  Didn't find any faults.  Plugged it all back in and it's generating. ..
The mounting holes for the regulator were corroded and stainless bolts had been used so cleaned them up copper slipped and installed a new steel bolt and a patch lead from the earth wires and bolt direct back to battery. 
13.4v at idle and 14.4v at 3k+
Been out for a 40 odd mile ride and all seems to be well.
I plan on stripping the bodywork and tank off for a full on service and tune up in a few weeks.  So going to go through all earths and check and maybe make up a small earth loom back to the battery where possible.
Thanks for all your help.. hopefully this thread will help someone else. 

Aussie Deros

I had my reg/ rectifier fail , it cooked my battery, this happened at about 70000km and 15 years old , replaced it with the new model one , no issues so far 92000 km now travelled .