Scotland In April

Started by numptyspence, 09/02/11 - 12:45:30

Previous topic - Next topic

numptyspence

Hi All

I have been really feeling the weather and am getting so fed up with it all :(. So far this year I have only been out a couple of times. So I was looking at the calendar and noticed in April I can get 10 days away from work for the cost of 4 days worth of holidays :o. So to cheer my self up and give me something to look forward to I'm going to book it off and do Scotland properly get up to the north west and possibly on to some of the islands (I kind of have a inkling to get on to the Orkneys as well). :)

So the question is does anybody have any "Must Sees" in that area, or know of any great places to stay I kind of fancy camping but I'm not adversed to a proper bed if the price/place is right.   ;)

<thanks>

YoU CaNt AlWaYs GeT WhAt YoU WaNt BuT If YoU TrY YoU MiGhT JuSt GeT WhAt YoU nEeD .................. ;->

minkyhead

nice one  numpt  
ive been  six times on me own   and loved it  
iend up getting up very early   ..and bedding down early      
anyway ive picked a few of  me favorite  places   

its a pitty not to take in glencoe    ..i love it there        starts at tyndum     but always worth a trip   check out this little  gem   real single track  [tarmack  ]  a river runs through it  you will be the only one on it  im  sure      
then  on to the best of glencoe    
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=b8074&aq=&sll=56.428902,-4.863167&sspn=0.048886,0.165825&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=B8074,+Argyll+and+Bute+PA36+4,+United+Kingdom&z=11  

By minkyhead at 2011-02-09

i know you have done  sky      
remember the lovely road to the kyle     ??  

By minkyhead at 2009-06-02

if you turn for loch carron  and find the applecross pass      
its  the highest  pass in gret brittain   really worth a look        
the little road from tomapress  to applecross      

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Applecross,+Strathcarron&aq=0&sll=57.423143,-5.729027&sspn=0.0952,0.33165&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Applecross,+Strathcarron,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&z=13

lovley roads to ullapool  and tonge   it takes awhile  
pleanty  of digs in ullapool   ..tongue is a one horese   but  one pub   :)town  

heres a real nice  bumprty  pretty  single track oddesy  
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Tarbet,+Lairg&aq=0&sll=58.396674,-5.129929&sspn=0.046328,0.165825&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Tarbet,+Lairg,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&ll=58.397754,-5.153275&spn=0.185304,0.6633&z=11

these were good digs in tongue  i had the caravan to meself  

this was the view    ..terrific

the coastal route at sandobeg to tonge  is  stunning    

a few ideas for you numpt      
you can also get a island hopping ticket  if you fancy a bit of that    too  

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Sangobeg,+Lairg&aq=0&sll=58.547299,-4.7612&sspn=0.092259,0.33165&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sangobeg,+Durness,+Lairg,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&z=13
the big downside   is  you only have yourself to take pics of  

have great time  i hope the weather is kind  
you must have been flying  cos i was going real fast when i passed you??

Craig67

Covered the places I've been to. Applecross was a fun road, the distilleries in Duff were a good afternoon.  Strathassunt in Ballachulish is a very nice B&B, used it as a base for a few days when in the west country.
HOC  29504

legiN

After Skye and before the applecross run we had to find somewhere to stay, (Skye was full) by chance we came across this place  RONA B&B
Lochcarron IV54 8YL  www.lochcarronbnb.co.uk  (it has not gone blue but works on copy n paste)  6 miles down a track but well worth it the view breathtaking. I had to go back to the village to get 4 beers and a bottle of wine, and it was a bit chilli sat out on the decking but we did have the right gear on lol. Their web site has pics but will try and show a couple of mine, stand by......

Woop woop  Nigel.
Transvestites are just people who like to eat drink and be Mary

I'm getting that old I will be able to hide my own Easter eggs next year!

numptyspence

Thanks for all the good info

I think i will be doing more of the west coast than i had planned to do

Now time to drop the point into the satnav

Thanks Again

YoU CaNt AlWaYs GeT WhAt YoU WaNt BuT If YoU TrY YoU MiGhT JuSt GeT WhAt YoU nEeD .................. ;->

minkyhead

pleanty of  pics  numpt   and  tell us  whats in the famous flask    O0 O0

:beer: :beer:
you must have been flying  cos i was going real fast when i passed you??

Big Dave

Quote from: minkyhead on  11/02/11 - 21:20:48
.......... and  tell us  whats in the famous flask    O0 O0

I'm sure it's ethanol

:)

Big Dave
Just cos your breathing doesn't mean your alive
Shiny side up:-)
Vim 10 Zanka Hungary       2008
Vim 11 Assos Turkey          2009
Vim 12 Zams Austria          2010
Vim 13 Vyhne Slovakia       2011
Vim 14 Taraggona Spain     2012
Vim 15  Cardigan   Wales    2013
Vim 16 Gerianger Norway    2014 car

numptyspence

Quote from: minkyhead on  11/02/11 - 21:20:48
pleanty of  pics  numpt   and  tell us  whats in the famous flask    O0 O0

Ill start charging the battery now and give the lens a good polish   :dance2:

Quote from: Big Dave on  11/02/11 - 21:25:08
I'm sure it's ethanol

:)

Big Dave

And come on guys you know whats in the flask moms own recipe battery acid and petrol with a hit of absinthe  :beer: (shaken not stirred)  :D

bristolsaint

I'm also off to bonny Scotland this year. May for us.
I've done it several times by car (ex hated bikes, hence ex)

We've booked a cottage in Fort William for a week. By the time we have finished we will know it well enough to call him Fort Bill.

You can't fail to find great roads and great scenery.

Enjoy. Put a review here if you find anything woth a look.

Best wishes and safe riding

jamesey

Also great roads around Moray. Head for Dufftown where there are 8 distilleries to take in. Loads of cracking roads with twisties to bomb round....

bristolsaint

Harrumph!!

Wind, rain....well that's it really.

1,250 miles and about 50 in the dry and none without vicious winds. Rannoch Moor in a side wind is an experience I never want again.

Was still better than being in a car though