Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

28/03/24 - 13:25:19

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 263
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 96
Total: 96

96 Guests, 0 Users

DIY valve clearences

Started by HEDLEY326, 04/07/19 - 19:05:54

Previous topic - Next topic

HEDLEY326

So I was given an unexpected 5 days off.
Decided to strip the bike down and have a go at checking the clearance's. Just for the fun of it. Well......turns out they were all out of tolerence. Well this is a bit more, than I've ever done so thought "how hard can it be to take the shims out?".

Turns out, as long as you're slow, methodical and double check your timing matks, it's a really enjoyable task. I mean really enjoyable. It's something we're all scared of doing. But get it in the garage, make notes, take pictures and it's pretty good to have that feeling of improving your skills. Give it a bash. You might surprise yourself

aboynamedsue

What kind of miles are on the bike for it to need that done. It's probably only the second or maybe third time I've heard of anyone doing it.

HEDLEY326

32, 000 miles mate.

I had it done at 18,000, but I really don't think he did it.
It's just as well, because it seemed they were all out, according to the manual and the Honda data sheet. For example , one of the valves was 0.06 instead of the spec at 0.13.

It's not a hard job. Just time consuming. I learned to double check the rocker cover bolt seals though. Bloody mess that made. Nothing a new seal and some brake clean couldn't fix. I can actually say, I've had the tank and rocker cover off......in a car park , with nothing but a bacho underseat tool kit lol.

Bønne

Quote from: aboynamedsue on  06/07/19 - 19:02:37
What kind of miles are on the bike for it to need that done.
Should be done at each 15000 miles according to the maintenance schedule.

I've had it done/done it seven times on mine (first two times was under warrenty, I didn't do them myself). At 45000 miles all four exhaust valves was loosened 0,025 mm, and at 105000 miles three of the exhaust valves was loosened 0,05 mm, the inlet valves has never been adjusted ;D

That's why I'm wondering this, maybe it has been done, but not properly?

Quote from: HEDLEY326 on  06/07/19 - 20:32:14
32, 000 miles mate.
I had it done at 18,000, but I really don't think he did it.
It's just as well, because it seemed they were all out, according to the manual and the Honda data sheet. For example , one of the valves was 0.06 instead of the spec at 0.13.
Plan your ride, ride your plan.

HEDLEY326

Indeed. The mechanic is one of those that sucks his teeth at every job. A fork seal was "a nightmare". Ok. Done it. Piece of cake. Valves. "Ooh....it's a pain getting that tank off"????? Really. Tank , airbox and rocker cover off in ten minutes??? Nightmare my arse.  Found, I'd been riding around for god knows how long, with my crash bars not even bolted on right, only when I did a coolant change. That's it......nobody is touching my shit.....ever.

Bønne

I can fully understand that. I only let the Honda-dealer (where I bought it), do the first services because of the warrenty. I had it stored at him for the first three winters, then he did service and replaced the tires during the winter. But every year he had a new mechanic, who'd never seen a Varadero before (there're not that many in Denmark).

The first year was okay, the next year I got it back with a scratch in my topbox... but of cause "it was there when you handed it in" ::) And the third year when I got home, I discovered that the breather tube on the front top cover wasn't mounted, with oil all over the left side of the bike as a consequense!

That did the trick, the warrenty had run out, so from then I did everything myself, as I've done on every other bike I've had. Later, I found out that the tank had a lot of small scratches on both sides behind the cowl... how difficult can it be to put a cloth over the tank before removing it?!
Plan your ride, ride your plan.

HEDLEY326

Yeah, people tend to not remove the side fairing, resulting in scratches all over it.
I've had this problem with cars also. Like that time I found an old alternator belt just left in the engine bay......oh god.

lanis3333

Hey Hedley326

I am at 34,000 km now on my 2008 XL1000V and want to take a look at Valve Clearance in the old Bitch.  Your post inspired me to tackle it myself.

I am over from Canada, and have brought limited tools with me to the UK.  Where can a guy get a good set of feeler gauges to measure here in the UK?

I have the maintenance manual and have read through the procedure a few times.  It just looks time consuming.  The Stealership wanted £330 to  do the job!!!!

The last thing I want is to float a valve and burn out a head.  Having read on this forum that people are taking their Varaderos over 100,000 miles makes me think the old girl might last a few  more riding  seasons!!!!!

I think all I am lacking is the set of feeler gauges.....  Maybe a torque wrench, but I am pretty good at guessing torque....(I think!!!)

LLL

aboynamedsue

I'm just back from a 4289 mile round trip to Romania and my beloved now has 42000miles on the clock and is  "running just like a song" so I'll not be touching her, (apart from bearings and chains and sprockets and shit)