Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

29/03/24 - 06:40:31

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 368
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 235
Total: 235

235 Guests, 0 Users

Brake Issues

Started by Mark Dusty Miller, 14/07/18 - 03:37:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dusty Miller

Hi all I added rear pads for the MOT and serviced her. MOT station said rear brake felt spongy, I agree it was a little; so he had adjusted bleed etc.
Just went into the garage last night and bike tuff to push, been sat a few months since MOT not been well enough to ride.
Took it up the road for a spin thinking need to bed them in and the brakes came on tighter and tighter, pulled over cooled her off; all was then released rode her back didnt want to get stuck out late evening; parked her in the garage and again they have tightened down front and back.
So where to look first, some air needs bleeding? sticking cylinders? The frontrear split braking puts me off a little so thought pick brains first hope thats ok cheers

black rider

first of all im sorry to hear you have not been well . sounds like your callipers need a good clean its possible to clean the pistons pretty good with a tooth brush and cloth and autosaul metal polish with out popping them out and use a g clamp to push them back in if you don't fancy popping them out . do them one calliper at a time  then you can bleed them up because there is 2 bleed nipple's per calliper and there is linked brakes there is a sequence they have to be done in it will be in a thread on hear . its a bit quite on hear for a quicker result put brakes in the search bar on hear  it will pull up lots of threads about it also youtube is a good place to learn all about brake servicing . best of luck with it .

S Barker

If the brakes are sticking they will get warm so you should be able to tell if its the front or rear (or  both )   ?
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Mark Dusty Miller

Thanks for your helpful responses, sorry its been so long but illness took a dive and not been about since the post. I didnt want anyone thinking Id ignored or didnt appreciate everything. Striped all callipers down yesterday and cleaned them all up, will look at bleeding sequence for next fray :) need to get some energy back up first. Thanks again peeps appreciated and encouraging. Have a great weekend.

HEDLEY326

Where are you located pal?

aboynamedsue

While you're at it check your secondary master cylinder on the front left caliper, it's the link to the rear brake. They have been known to give bother. There was a recall done on them off the ST1300 some years ago, just as a precaution. If it is ceased or partially ceased it will cause your rear brake to bind.

mr_diver

I also had issues with the rear brake binding- no issues with the front.

I striped and replaced the seals, replaced the rubber boots for the slider pins, I replaced the Secondary master cylinder kit, I even replaced the rear caliper mount.
Still the same issue.

Ended up it was the delay valve under the lower fork clamp.

If it was the rear you had binding, spin the rear wheel with the bike on centre stand/paddock stand and press the rear brake pedal- it should stop the rear wheel turning, a slight resistance until the delay valve and PCV release the pressure back to the rear master cylinder.
My problem was the delay valve was blocked/seized and would hold the pressure for far too long, and only release is slowly, thus binding the rear brake.
Went through 2 sets of rear pad in 10k miles and a rear disk.

Mark Dusty Miller

Hi all yep its been some time since I posted, been poorly but good news brakes are all sorted and new pads fitted whilst I was about it; it seems that by letting a slight amount of fluid bleed off was enough to sort it. Sometimes the easiest of things after you've spent ages trying every damn pad cleaning every piston etc lol.
thanks again to all for your help and advice I was very grateful; sadly due to the health issues I think I'm going to be selling up if I do I'll add her here incase any members are interested; a sad day and finding it hard to decide and make the commitment :(