Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

29/03/24 - 07:04:11

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 368
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 177
Total: 177

177 Guests, 0 Users

New tyres needed

Started by Ratmanc, 22/05/18 - 13:08:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratmanc

Hey guys!

Just wondering what rubber is best for myself. I commute every day around 40 miles across a forest that has some fairly crap roads. I would say 90% tarmac and a bit of loose gravel/mud/water. I have been looking at the metzeler tourance tyres but am wondering what you guys would recommend? I ride all year round in rain and snow and occasionally have to cross a grassy area is the river has burst its banks.

Thanks in advance!

Karlos

Whilst I cannot recommend a tyre, actually be looking to replace mine shortly, I did spot this in the garage today which may be helpful.

https://www.charleshurstgroup.co.uk/tyres/offers/michelin-motorcycle-tyres/
XL125 Varadero 07

black rider

my 1000 came with Michelin anakee 2 they lasted well and handled well even when almost worn out so I got a new one for the back . after reading up hear they seem popular with Varadero owners . I don't go on gravel tracks much and I don't see the bike as suited to the task due to its weight .I would have got one for the front too but I got a bargin on a pirelli  scorpion trail its got a more road focused tread handles lovely on the road but I think the anakee would be better for your needs . google is your friend there is a lot of big adventure bikes these days . there is anakee 3 tyres now and people have said good things about them too also do a search on hear there will be lots of tyre thread . good luck with it . 

aboynamedsue

I have been using Anakee II s on my Vara for years, similar riding to yourself, a bit of light off road. Fantastic tyres, wet or dry,  I'll be sticking with them. I put 46 PSI in the rear and 42 in the front, 8500 miles later they are still fit for MOT and not too badly squared off. As for Metzeler Tourance, I have them on my 700 Transalp and they are also a fantastic tyre in all weathers and good for light off roading. A lot of it is down to personal preference but some tyres work better on some bikes than others. I've never had Metzelers on the big girl but I know they are a very popular tyre with adventure riders. Hope this helps.

black rider

my rear Michelin anakee 2 picked up a screw and if you parden the pun it  well screwed I am not very happy about it but I did manage 2800 miles before it so at least I got that much out of it . I am thinking about going for an anakee 3 now subject to price I remember reading about them and riders saying how big an improvement they are over the 2 the thread pattern is as ugly as sin though compared to the 2 .  the only improvement that can really be made to our wonderful machines is tyres and suspension . I am very pleased with the rear for now maybe a nitron down the road  but I will buy some snazzy springs and figure out what weight oil will make it bounce to my linking . I am loving the pirellie scorpion trail on the front but its starting to wear a bit I don't think they are a long lasting tyre handles lovely when brand new though . I think we might as well get the best tyres available in times gone by the poor bastards only had bad tyres bad breaks questionable reliability no Schubert helmets or klim suits of anything but they were happy  ;D both my bikes are parked up in need of a tyre and my transalp is in the process of getting a rocker box seal replaced if lings would get a move on send the seals required  >:(   and to make matters worse someone road past my house on a bike like one I used to have and my mother said he was playing music and all the jamy bastard  >:( still a couple of days and I will be back in the saddle . ;D