xl1000 help please

Started by kkk, 08/02/17 - 18:35:53

Previous topic - Next topic

kkk

Hi all I have a 2010 1000cc varadero and need some help.When bike is ticking over its idling just below what it normally does and just cuts out .its running fine above two thousand revs but if I poodle along in traffic at ajust below 1500 revs it starts kangarooing .I cant let it tick over in traffic because it cuts out .seems fine if I keep the revs up ,also if I pull clutch in and rev it up it backfires and when I start it up from cold I can smell petrol till its warmed up,cant see a fuel leak anywhere.any help and suggestions will be be much appreciated,i put new plugs in 6 months ago when I serviced it and its been fine,i ride it all year.thanks guys.

lee540

Is the bike getting wet?

Check wiring to coil, one above the front cylinder and one under rear lhs fairing panel. Broken connectors caused me this issue on my carb'd version, they were shorting out.

kkk

I ride all year so getting wet in rain but ill check the coil wires as you suggest thankyou.

kkk

Problem solved.Thanks to lee540 I took my side casing off to check wires and noticed that the air pipe from scottoiler had a gash in it so I put my thumb over hole and started bike and it ticked over perfect with no backfiring.ive taped gash up but think ill remove scottoiler as its been a pain since ive had it.back to spraying chain lube once a week .thanks lee for pointing me in that direction I would never had found it.

kkk

It turned out to be leaking air intake pipe from scottoiler .thanks to lee for pointing me in that direction ill remove the bloody thing next time I'm off.

Elwell

Oh that's annoying but at least you know what it is now. Thanks for sharing the solution here.