Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

19/05/24 - 02:04:12

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,915
  • Total Topics: 11,005
  • Online today: 28
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28

28 Guests, 0 Users

Voltage Regulator

Started by MPM1968, 08/10/22 - 20:00:35

Previous topic - Next topic

MPM1968

Hi can anyone help with this one here goes i purchased my Varadero off private seller 4 months later the voltage regulator was playing up and eventually over heated and bike would not start  when i removed voltage regulator noticed it was not a Honda but a Yamaha regulator and unbelievably previous owner had paid £160 for a bodge job any way ordered correct aftermarket voltage regulator for my 07 plate Varadero worked straight away no further issues however this only lasted around 16mths and regulator packed up again more interested as to why it does this and what's causing it over length of time to just pack up with no warning ? i did notice 2 days prior to it packing up when i had indicators on the head lights would slightly flash I've now changed again to another brand new regulator and all is perfect even when i put indicators on there is no flashing of the head lights have checked voltage when engine is running and reading is 13.5volts to 14 volts which i believe is correct so stupped as to why after a year or so regulator just packs up I've also been told this is same result with genuine  Honda replacement at a hefty £220 price tag so buying aftermarket one seems obvious choice but  any feedback would be apricated

John J

I suppose you could be unlucky and had 2 faulty regulators. I definitely would check though for a bad earth connection and clean up the main earth to frame connection and battery terminals. I would check the battery too on a load tester and multi meter to make sure it is good. Bad earths are the main reasons regulators fail,

MPM1968

appreciate advice will give that a shot and see how it goes I've bought another regulator as a spare like said very strange the last one lasted over a year? so I'll see what happens after cleaning earth connections many thanks