Lake District in June.

Started by aboynamedsue, 20/04/12 - 18:51:50

Previous topic - Next topic

aboynamedsue

I'm taking the wife to the Lake District for a long weekend at the beginning of June. We'll be disembarking in Cairnryan at 10 on Saturday 2nd June and heading for Lake windemere. We're spending 2nights at the Damson Dene and then on for a third night,potentially in Carlisle, catching the Fasttub home from Cairnryan at 15.30 on tuesday 5th.
Just wondering if anyone is local or who has knowledge of the area that could suggests routes on the Sat from the boat and again for rideout on the Sunday.(avoiding the very main roads as much as possible).
No rush on the saturday. Will want to stop somewhere nice for lunch, no need to be at the hotel bar too early.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I want to make the most of the beautiful weather and the great roads i'm sure to get. (Fingers crossed for one out two anyway)

Cheers

aboynamedsue

Saxal

If you're in that neck of the woods then the kirkstone Pass is a must,whether you're trundling or gripping the seat with your sphincter :o its a cracking ride. Just got back myself,did it as a teenager many years ago and lived to tell the tale....a bit more moderate this time and it was just as good. It runs from Ambleside just outside of Windermere,takes you over the pass, the Kirkstone Pass Inn is on the top (featured on Britains Most Haunted......don't stay in room no.5, no.2 is ok if you don't mind the ghost footsteps :o...) they do great food also,then drops down along the side of Ullswater (great scenery) and onto Penrith.From there you can drop straight onto the M6 and up to Carlisle. Just a suggestion but any roads around that area are cool,hope you get the weather...I was very lucky.Hope this helps. 

tomhowe

The Lake district is nicely compact and it's easy to 'do' six passes in around 130 miles.   Makes a brilliant day out.   Five of us did just that a couple of weekends ago, camping at Brothers Water Inn, which is just outside Glenridding on the way to the Kirkstone.

Compared to the Hardknott and Wrynose passes, the Kirkstone's like an A road, and a real anti-climax when you've done the others first.   Possibly the views from the top of the Honister Pass at the Honister Slate Mine just edge the rest of the run.   But that's just an opinion!

I've made a route guide for the run, if you want a copy to utilise where it fits your itinerary, give me a shout.
My imaginary friend thinks you've got serious problems.

Saxal

Actually Tomhowe,I wouldn't mind a copy of that route,sounds interesting and wouldn't mind a crack at that myself. :)

Big Dave

Hi Sue,
The lake district is my play ground, if you like i could give you a guided tour (time off work permitting).

Big Dave
Just cos your breathing doesn't mean your alive
Shiny side up:-)
Vim 10 Zanka Hungary       2008
Vim 11 Assos Turkey          2009
Vim 12 Zams Austria          2010
Vim 13 Vyhne Slovakia       2011
Vim 14 Taraggona Spain     2012
Vim 15  Cardigan   Wales    2013
Vim 16 Gerianger Norway    2014 car

aboynamedsue

That would be great, it would be a shame to go there and miss out on anything.............

Big Dave

Sorry Sue,
I'm going to have to cancel the "Guided Tour of the Lakes"  :'(

SWMBO has just told me i'll be at a wedding reception, on the Saturday evening.

Sorry Big Dave :(
Just cos your breathing doesn't mean your alive
Shiny side up:-)
Vim 10 Zanka Hungary       2008
Vim 11 Assos Turkey          2009
Vim 12 Zams Austria          2010
Vim 13 Vyhne Slovakia       2011
Vim 14 Taraggona Spain     2012
Vim 15  Cardigan   Wales    2013
Vim 16 Gerianger Norway    2014 car