Ride outs

Started by varaderobill, 21/02/14 - 16:07:24

Previous topic - Next topic

varaderobill

Hi Loudpedal, I'll run this past you and i'd be interested to hear your view on it.There is a group of men from our church myself included who ride bikes we meet socially on the 2nd Saturday of each month for breakfast and weather permitting we do a bike run March through to October 2nd Saturday of the month. The runs always include breakfast and whoever is planning the route finds a breakfast stop. We try to keep the fry up as cheap as possible and everyone gives a tenner this is the same for all breakfasts and means at the end of the year we have several hundred pounds which we give to a charity.
Anyway you have got the picture, now everything is ok when all goes well but the question is this if it did go pear shaped and some got hurt or worse would someone say the rideout leader on the day be held responsible sometimes we invite other bikers we know, needless to say we are concerned about this
better together than alone

LazyRider

The legal responsibility of group rides was the main reason that at one time, there was a Varadero Branch of the HOC-GB.   HOC-GB do have third party insurance that covers organisers of group events ? rides, meeting, weekends, etc.

The problem is that every member of the event has to be a member of the HOC, or a visitor agreeing to abide by the rules of the HOC.

The leaders liability came to light when a leader of a cyclist group took the group out on icy roads, one of the cyclists slid and was hit by a car.   The leader was sued for taking the riders into danger.

This legal responsibility can also be applicable when a 'leader' books accommodation/sites/meals for a group ? they then become responsible for the actions of any member of the group.

It could be that anyone with personal insurance is covered for legal aid and any third party claims for negligence.

jackyork

Good grief! What have we come to?
I feel like 'bad mouthing' the cyclists for starting this, which is nonsense but I can blame American 'culture' creeping eastwards.
So, what to do
I will be riding to X for breakfast on Saturday. I will be happy to order tea for anyone who MIGHT turn up.
Does that get around the problem?

JK
'12 reg XL1000VA, Previous; '08 XL1000V

Dwarf

Don't forget bill you will also need a form 11/1 filled in to go via the police to the parades commission to have permission granted for organising a group on a road, same goes for sponsored walks runs etc. to get round this just get whoever is taking the run to state that they will be going for a ride on a bike if anyone cares to join them. They will be stopping somewhere for breakfast which will cost ?10. Stay away from making it an organised thing or you will have to jump through hoops. If I attend a club cycle I have to have at least third party insurance through that club to keep me right. Pain in the ass
Destined to go through life pushing doors marked pull

The Prodded Dog

Bloody hell the Dwarf still exists!! ;D ;D
Good to see you on here Micky
All the best and buy an engine for that pushbike.
Marty
I can still do all the things I could when I was 21, but now it is with less teeth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtp4adNTP0Y

Dwarf

Still have one with an engine mate and getting out the odd time with ginge and Loudpedal you still on the gs?
Destined to go through life pushing doors marked pull

The Prodded Dog

No mate.
Migrated in 2012 to a Triumph Tiger Explorer. Much better with three cylinders!
Cheers
Marty
I can still do all the things I could when I was 21, but now it is with less teeth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtp4adNTP0Y