Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

29/03/24 - 06:55:07

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 368
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 194
Total: 194

194 Guests, 0 Users

K & n air filter

Started by rangersfc65, 02/05/15 - 08:16:33

Previous topic - Next topic

rangersfc65

I recently bought a honda xl varadero 125  2012 model. I was wondering if I could get a k & n air filter for it and would this make much of a difference.

Taught2BeCautious

K&N don't do one specifically for the Vara, but I modified mine to take a K&N Filter for a VW Polo - Part No. 33-2092

It also makes a difference if you remove the restrictor bung from the airbox intake as well.

RebuiltV3

ive always had a Kand N put in mine they seem to last  8)
The Varabeast  !!!... not for the faint of heart ... :OP

Lifes an adventure , lets see where it takes us !?!

Tis great weather for ducks .... and Varadero`s

rangersfc65

Quote from: Taught2BeCautious on  02/05/15 - 10:07:03
K&N don't do one specifically for the Vara, but I modified mine to take a K&N Filter for a VW Polo - Part No. 33-2092

It also makes a difference if you remove the restrictor bung from the airbox intake as well.

So is this modification easy to do? Also  what is the procedure? I dnt really know that much about bikes and will get someone I know to do it for me.

Taught2BeCautious

K&N do an air filter for the Vara 1000, but not the 125.

Remove the seat and fuel tank, take the top off the air box and remove the restrictor bung (Part No. 8 below).

Remove the air filter plate (Part No. 2 above), and cut out the old filter element and enough of the surrounding plastic to take the K&N 33-2092, so it looks like this...

Make sure the new filter doesn't foul anything in the lower part of the air box before fixing the K&N in place with silicone sealant or Araldite.

Put it all back together, not forgetting the breather tube that fits under the front of the fuel tank.

rangersfc65

Ok pal thanks for your help .I will hopefully get this done soo . Cheers.

Mihai

Will change mine this weekend  ;D
57 plate Baby Varadero
Name: Xena
Givi Tall Screen - Centre Stand - H&P Top Box
K&N Air Filter - SP Engineering Silencer

Mihai

Just changed the air filter today and when I removed it I had a pleasant surprise. The air filter that was installed was the same as the one that I bought.
The filter that was installed looked ok and I could just wash it and use it but it seemed a shame to keep the new K&N filter under the stairs for a few thousand miles more, so I replaced it with the new one.

Removing the tank was a piece of cake, I'm glad I did not lost half a day doing that.
57 plate Baby Varadero

Taught2BeCautious

You will never need to change the K&N, it will outlast the bike!

Hope you remembered to re-fit the breather tube under the front of the tank :)

Mihai

Quote from: Taught2BeCautious on  12/05/15 - 12:57:56
You will never need to change the K&N, it will outlast the bike!

Hope you remembered to re-fit the breather tube under the front of the tank :)
The breather tube was off when I took the tank off and it looked like it stayed like that a long time. I fitted the tube back when finished and I am not sure if it is the tube or the air filter but the bike seems more responsive and I think it makes a nicer noise when running.
57 plate Baby Varadero

alan4298

don't bother - it won't make the slightest bit of difference, cost you money and you could end up pulling your hair out for no increase in performance. Buy a pint.
Givi Windscreen
Xenon headlights
Centre Stand
Heated Grips
Belly Pan
Givi Panniers
Givi Top-box
Conti-go Tyres
Cyclone V2 alarm

Taught2BeCautious

Just removing the restrictor bung from the air intake makes a noticeable difference, so the increased surface area you get with the K&N filter should make a big improvement to acceleration and low-end torque.

To get the most from this, try fitting a 15 tooth front sprocket as well - this will lower the engine revs at higher speeds, and help you reach a higher top speed before the rev limiter kicks in to spoil the fun :)

The cost savings are down to never having to replace the air filter element again, and that adds up over time - so since fitting mine in 2009, I reckon I've saved ?120 just in parts.

EMC

Amazon appears to have two options for 33-2092

https://www.amazon.co.uk/33-2092-Replacement-Air-Filter/dp/B000E5Q5Q4/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=33-2092&qid=1568031479&s=automotive&sr=1-4

And

https://www.amazon.co.uk/33-2092-Replacement-Filter-Increased-Performance/dp/B07CSTMC2H/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=33-2092&qid=1568031527&s=automotive&sr=1-5

If life has taught me one thing repeatedly it is that I am really rather dense and my decision making isn't what it ought to be. Any chance of a point in the right direction so I get the right one first time please.

Cheers, EMC.

Taught2BeCautious

The first item seems to be using a stock picture.  Sellers do this so they don't have to spend days taking pictures of hundreds of different filters.

Second item looks more like it should.

This one on eBay is the right item, and a better price.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33-2092-VW-Golf-Mk1-Mk2-Jetta-Caddy-1-5-1-6-1-8-K-N-Air-Filter/193089001445?hash=item2cf50057e5:g:tskAAOSwutNdc14q