Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

29/03/24 - 05:10:37

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 298
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 292
Total: 292

292 Guests, 0 Users

Rear shock options

Started by SussexCol, 17/05/17 - 09:41:07

Previous topic - Next topic

SussexCol

Hi to All,
greetings from a wet south coast🎡
VUK is new to me so still finding my way around the site; looks good though☺
I have to replace the rear shock due to corrosion (over wintered it in a damp garage!) and I wonder if there are options out there? It's a 2005 XL1000 and is usually loaded with pillion and panniers.
Any advice gratefully received... thanks.

yen_powell

I fitted a Nitron to mine, I paid extra for the remote preload adjuster as getting anywhere near the adjuster on a Varadero is not going to happen.

I had to fill out a form before they built it with weights of me, usual pillion, luggage etc.

I liked it a lot.

varonda

Fit a Wilbers unit -- it's set up at the factory for what you need , just tell 'em what you're going to carry -- last one I had was on the bike 6 years and after a wipe down with an oily rag it looked as though I'd just pulled it out of the box -- and they can be rebuilt if needed-- not cheap but these days you only get what you pay for . Replaced Dero with an AT and sold unit to a contributor to this site. :) :) :)
If the truth fits --wear it

SussexCol

Thanks to you both - will look at Wilburs and Nitron options for starters and see how far I get; anyone have a further suggestion (keep it clean) or feedback that would be grand 
Still raining, ho hum...

Snurrepus

I fully agree with Varonda.
Last September I had my "new" 2008 fitted with Wilber's rear shock, Wilber's progressive fork springs and Wilber's fork oil.
I visited Rev's racing in Halesowen.
http://wilberssuspension.co.uk/index.php

I did the same with my old 2008, and it was good as new when I crashed it last June after 130000 km.

SussexCol

Thanks Snurrepus - really helpful feedback; just worried now that if I go Wilbers then a crash will become compulsory :)

The Prodded Dog

Quote from: SussexCol on  18/05/17 - 18:12:11
Thanks Snurrepus - really helpful feedback; just worried now that if I go Wilbers then a crash will become compulsory :)
You are not Scandinavian and not called Erik. You will not crash providing you do not become distracted watching a bike wheelying the other way and run into the back of the bike of your biking buddy.
The Soup thief
AKA The prodded dog
I can still do all the things I could when I was 21, but now it is with less teeth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtp4adNTP0Y

Bønne

Two years ago I mounted ?hlins in both ends (of the bike ;)). Expensive, yes, but I haven?t regret it one single moment!
Plan your ride, ride your plan.

Snurrepus

Quote from: The Prodded Dog on  20/05/17 - 20:57:25
Quote from: SussexCol on  18/05/17 - 18:12:11
You are not Scandinavian and not called Erik. You will not crash providing you do not become distracted watching a bike wheelying the other way and run into the back of the bike of your biking buddy.
The Soup thief
AKA The prodded dog

I love you, too  >:D >:D

HEDLEY326

I stuck a hagon with preload adjuster on mine. Piece of piss to fit and mounted the adjuster with a Z bracket to the rear brake mechanism mount. Bike feels more solid. It's a bit stiffer than the origional but feels great.

BigYin

I've fitted a Hyperpro to mine - I got it with the remote adjuster at extra cost and then had to fabricate a bracket to mount it on.

Anyway, 18 months after fitting it it's back off and away for a service after the damping started to fade  :(

Original shock back on at the moment and preload wound up to the max to reduce the sagging - which was why I got the new shock - hopefully have the Hyperpro back soon....

will6576

Sorry to add to an old thread but Just fitted a near new rear shock from a firestorm and works a treat, sits a little higher with a stronger spring with the addition of Rebound adjustment too.
Paid £65 on ebay, easy to adjust the preload too.

Toomanytoys

Looking at all options on this myself now..
Not prepared to spend £500+ i am afraid...
Must be some good used options out there..

Toomanytoys

So.. picked up a VFR shock for cheap.. chucked it in... back wheel is touching the ground when on the centre stand...feels very stiff on softest preload.. damping adjuster seized.. haven't ridden it, will do just for comparison.

Sent the stock shock off to MCT in Suffolk.. to see if it was rebuildable..
Posted Thurs Eve, phone call Tues afternoon saying it was..
Spring ok, damping shot (not that they were great new apparently), low on gas..  small investigation into the spring preload and apparently it was only at base setting even when preload adjuster as wound fully in, so it's been shimmed to factory preload, damping sorted and rebuilt, in the post today for £225 ish.. I am pretty happy with the cost.. forks will need doing something with tho..
Will Bob out on the bike with the vtr shock, then swap to the rebuilt unit and report back..
Trouble is.. I have seen a V-Strom 1000 I fancy now.. ha ha ha..