Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

29/03/24 - 10:20:31

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 368
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 98
Total: 99

98 Guests, 1 User
S Barker

bumping, jumpig engine, any ideas??

Started by sheridan, 08/07/08 - 20:38:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Toomanytoys

Bypassed the fuel pump with a facet one.. running directly off the battery..
No different..
Original pump seems to work, but doesn't seem very consistent (observing the sparks made as the contacts operate.. )
All occuring below 4k rpm
Can only be down to either
a CV diaphragm leak ,(didn't disturb these as that often leads to more trouble)

Something I have missed in the carbs for the the transition jetting....

Or some random electrical issue that's only working at lower rpm....
Fed up that spent the whole day on this and it isn't any better...

Toomanytoys

Ok.. I am properly done..
Carbs off again today and checked all sorts with rest of bike..
New plugs on order, tho the plugs look like they haven't done owt..
Anyway.. loaded a vid to YouTube.. https://youtube.com/shorts/-iE-NDvTHf0?feature=share
Not touching anything, idle set high..
Thoughts??
Cheers

S Barker

The Ignition Control Module - ICM (ecu !) has a inputs from a throttle position sensor, a temperature sensor (not the same one that feeds the instruments) and an ignition pulse generator.

Are you sure its a "below 4k rpm" issue or could it be a "throttle position" issue ?
I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Toomanytoys

Well.. anything under 3500-4k is where it's occuring  when riding.. open the throttle a small amount or a larger amount and it makes not a jot of difference.. it's pretty unnerving when you have the throttle open and the power bangs in...
The poping and spitting back is only from front cyl, when it does it, rear one never done anything untoward, so I don't think it can be TPS related as both would do it.
My assumption is that it's cyl specific, any common part in system would effect both cyls, surely??.

On the video the throttle isn't open very far on the adjuster, much less than on the road, unless the TPS has a massive dead/damaged spot .

I am not into spending hundreds of pound replacing parts willy nilly so need to diagnose what the issue really is..
I could check the resistance of the TPS (if possible) over its operating arc...
By the way, the bike only has ,,22k on it...so it's not had. A lot of use..

I am going to swap the coils over, see if it moves to the rear..
New plugs should eliminate them...
Then it can only come back to the carb/intake/ fueling. Perhaps despite how clean the carbs are inside, there is debris lodged in one of the drillings..

S Barker

I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Toomanytoys

Thankyou
If it's the carb at fault then I am not sure what more I can do..
It's been jetted with brake cleaner in all the holes, backwards and forwards..
Compressed air follow up.
3 times now....
Seems strange whatever is causing the fluctuations is moving, but won't blow/rinse out...

Toomanytoys

New plugs have arrived to try..
Set of used carbs off eBay (give me a load of spares at least..
So will be sorting them out on Saturday.. hope I find some resolution..

Toomanytoys

Well... I stupidly changed the front spark plug before running it up .. it ran absolutely fine..
This could be the plug or it could be as it's sat with a rich redex mix for 5 days, that could have dissolved whatever was in the carb.. 
Anyway.. as it seemed to be fixed, I completed the service (rear plug, oil and oil filter, air filter, aux air filters) andI put it all back together..
Went out for a ride around locally and it's pulling really smoothly. 2500rpm around town and no lurching..
My brother met up with me and we went for a spin, did about 90 miles and all good..

The used carbs off eBay have both the idle jets seized in the carb body.. so I may not recover them and damage the body's in the process of removal..  we shall see, I have left them soaked in penetrating fluid. at least I know what I am dealing with there.

Hopefully my trauma will help someone else.. although I can't be sure it was either the plug or soak in redex that  finally sorted it.. (I could bung the old plug back in I suppose.. )

Thanks for your support.

Next to tackle is the thermostat.. as that's not closing fully..

Toomanytoys

So.. thought I would do a little update on my issues..
Just knocked out 900 miles from Thurs morn to Mon eve.. Lincolnshire down to west Swansea, tour of the Gower, then up some little lanes of mid Wales and ending in Bala. Back accros to South Lincs via Brum and nottingham.
Bike seemed to get better.. tootling around at 2500 rpm in 3rd or 4th entirely possible.  3k+ better if needing a little grunt..
Worst mpg was 36 (rubbish weather on Thursday and cracking on), best of 50..  AVE of 42..
Think the idle is slightly rich mind..
5k motorway cruise feels like there is a slight surging going on..
Think the rear shock is toast now..